Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Should I hack this off??

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2002, 02:58 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cleaned the air filter off my MY97 Forester STB and took off the top part of the air box, MAF and flexible air inlet link.

Looking down the rigid plastic turbo inlet pipe, there is a large protruding moulding, just after the internal metal strengthening ring where the flexi tube is reattached.
The moulding is crescent shaped, is 5cm long, 3mm thick and takes up about 5% of the inlet cross section.

Should this be there?
Will it benefit the car to remove it?

It seems to be deliberately formed but I cannot understand what its purpose is . Will it cause a high loss of air flow (unless it is insignificant compared to the intercooler losses).

Puzzled

Nick

Old 19 March 2002, 06:20 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well this appears to be attracting a lot of views, but no answers yet.
Is it clear what I am talking about?
A picture would be nice but I haven't got a digital one.

Nick
Old 19 March 2002, 09:40 PM
MattRus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Nick,
I will check if my STB has this as well and try to decide it's purpose. Then, maybe I will remove it and see!!
Old 20 March 2002, 12:11 PM
longdogs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before i saw the light i used to run a Mk3 16v golf. The air box on this car had a trumpet thing inside that had a smaller diameter than the ait intake hose located in the air box. I posted the same questions a you " shoud i leave it on or remove it ?
Most people said whip if off, so as it could be sid in and out and took about 5 mins i did. I noticed no difference appart from at high revs i got no more power but a rattling sound ?
So i posted again as to why this happeed.
People far more cever than me explained that the " trumpet " wa there to stop resonance in the air box, i.e disrupt the air flow so standing waves don't form, thus getting a steady airflow into the engine.
In the ed i just removed the air box completely and put on a K&N 57I that did improve things.
p.s, A few months later the cam belt let go and a had to replace all the valves and have the head re-worked, good reason to have it all ported and chipped during re-build, Few months after that MAF went, before i sold it ( was doing 174Bhp by then )