Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

£10 to anyone who can fix my click!

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2002, 03:32 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've posted this before but I'm hoping a reward might bring a few more responses.

My MY00 Turbo makes a loud (and I mean loud) click when I travel on an uneven road surface. It is difficult to pinpoint but it is coming from somewhere in the vicinity of the driver's right ear.
It isn't a continuous rattle, just a single click followed by silence until the next bump in the road.

So far I have...removed both door panels and tightened all the visible nuts etc.......removed the entire seatbelt anchoring point......taken out the complete back seat.......taken off the lower plastic trim on the B-pillar and loosened the upper trim as far as I can.....and it's still bloody clicking!!

Any more suggestions would be gratefully received and whoever comes up with the solution will get a crisp tenner from me.

I can't be the only Scooby driver in the country with this problem surely. Please help as it's ruining my enjoyment of an otherwise great car.
Old 17 March 2002, 03:34 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Take your house key out of the ashtray
Old 17 March 2002, 03:55 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Try re seating the glass on its clips with rubber washers.
Old 17 March 2002, 04:55 PM
cletterridge
Scooby Regular

Possible on cars with frameless windows, glass hitting exposed metal somewhere?
Old 17 March 2002, 05:03 PM
z80
Scooby Regular

I've an annoying click in my P1 that's soon to be fixed by my dealer under warranty.

It's the plastic on the arm rest and when it's pressed down by driver elbow it clicks back after a delay of 3 seconds after said elbow is removed.

However it's not likely to be the problem you are experiencing as this is wouldn't be next to your right ear, unless of course you are an extremely short driver.

Regards,

Simon
Old 17 March 2002, 05:07 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Wink

Unfortunately I can't help - but there is still a £10 call out charge for me coming into this thread!!
Old 17 March 2002, 05:11 PM
Green Turbo
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

PeteT,

I think I had a simliar/same problem, but on an MY97, I did much the same as you, then I found the problem. It was parcel tape used to hold cables in place in the roof. Remove roof linning, removed tape (which took ages), used electrical tape to hold cable in place. Hey presto clicking gone away. Two day's later new bloody rattle from back door, still not fixed that one, anydody PLEASE ?

Try patting the roof linning by the pillar and see if it clicks then.

So about that tenner ?
Old 17 March 2002, 05:28 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

My bid for the £10

It all depends if you have Gold Wheels ... If So I have the answer .. read on ..
Your Right Pearl earring is probably catching somewhere

Pete
Old 17 March 2002, 05:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seriously, this was happening to me - the aerial was clicking against the Top-Box!!

Pete
Old 17 March 2002, 05:50 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Seriously, this was happening to me - the aerial was clicking against the Top-Box!!

Pete

Presumably in this context an "aerial" is a jewellers term for a particular kind of ear-ring which of course most of us know nothing about.
Old 17 March 2002, 06:01 PM
D Hill 555
Scooby Regular

I Had Clicking Problem On My95 McRAE.(Sounds So Simple)It Was The
Aerial When Fully Extended,Pushed It Down 3 Inches Problem Solved?

Old 17 March 2002, 06:01 PM
Philip Attaway
Scooby Regular

Location: RS6 heaven. 505/445 Scooby Eater (whilst watching TV)
Lightbulb

Doh

Mister Lewis beat me to it, seriously it is probably your aerial!!!

Stopping at traffic lights/junctions etc under heavy braking or big bumps always caused an annoying tapping which I eventually traced to the aerial! (of course I never approach them at speed now

Phil
Old 17 March 2002, 06:05 PM
skidpro
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

I've found that the best way to identify "noises" is to get a mate or two to bounce the front (bonnet up to prevent dents!) and then bounce the back whilst you go round listening.

Creaking/clicking is usually caused by dry suspension rubbers, particularly where the front anti-roll bar joins the lower suspension arm. Try spraying these areas with WD40.

Also check your top suspension mounts both front & rear for tightness.

You may have a broken spring - jack up right front & check.

If you could make a recording of the noise and post a link to it, it may help identify the cause better.

I hope this helps, cheers!

Skid.
Old 17 March 2002, 06:32 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies so far guys, it's definately not the aerial (I get that as well!!) it's 50 times louder than that.
I've just got the wife to drive me round the block while I sat in the back seat but still couldn't locate the source (I feel sick now!). I guess it could be the rear strut top that's come loose but how the hell do you get to them, I've had a look in the boot and I can't even see a strut top!
Green Turbo, thanks I'll check it out.

Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 17 March 2002, 06:58 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Could be the clip on your headrest.
Either that or the elastic in your baseball cap is too tight??

Alasdair
Old 17 March 2002, 08:25 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Question

I read a thread a while ago relating to wierd noises in scoobs...the thing that sprung to mind when I read your post was that one fella had a similar problem with his car...If I remember correctly it was a "spot weld" up near the drivers ear on the vertical pillar which had decided not to be a spot weld anymore

I think his was under warranty.

As for struts...behind the rear seat back.

Hope you get it sorted, MD.
Old 17 March 2002, 09:23 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Two things to try ....

1.One check where the toolkit is ... may be loose under the spare .. the kit had spilled out in my boot and one of the tools was banging around.

2. Check the car jack is fully locked in ... that can ride around.

plus if you find Pete's Right Pearl earring send it back to him

Dave.

[Edited by DemonDave - 3/17/2002 9:24:20 PM]
Old 18 March 2002, 06:03 AM
blown_wrx
Scooby Newbie

Do you have a custom exhaust???
I had a one put on and after a couple of weeks a washer my mate spotwelded to the arms on the muffler (the ones that go around the little rubber hangers) came loose and was clicking on the arm. Got him to weld the bloody thing back and it's gone again. Is the sound audible with the window up as well??

Tony
Old 18 March 2002, 09:16 AM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have exactly the same on my MY97.

It's the brake bads rattling slightly in the rear calipers as i go over bumps.

Took me ages to find it.

Cheers

Iain
Old 18 March 2002, 12:01 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Pete,

I've just had a similar problem fixed while having my MY97 Turbo serviced. The noise on my car was *sounded* like it was coming from the rear of the car, where the rear shock comes into the boot. It was more of a 'clunk' than a 'click' but happened on bumpy roads as you mentioned.
Anyway, after a bit of searching around on scoobynet I noticed that it is quite common for the rear anti-roll bar bushes to wear down, resulting in a noise such as this. I assumed that's what was causing it and asked the garage to check it out during the service. Sure enough the mounts were knackered and now they've been replaced, there's no more knocking

Bad news is they're about £70 each (+ labour)
I reckon this could be your problem...
Cheers,
J
Old 18 March 2002, 05:54 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks everyone, the click is definately coming from inside the car, I'm beginning to think it may be either the rear door hinges/lock or someting within the door itself. Either that or it could be a broken weld somewhere (can't see any though).

I'll keep looking.
Old 18 March 2002, 07:19 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

want more info like what speed , what corners i.e both left or right what side of car for defo does it have a sunroof is it there all the time or only when going over bumps is it a fast click or slow click does it sound a heavy click or light click is it a click and not a rattle or a knock.
Old 18 March 2002, 08:06 PM
grahamstocker
Scooby Regular

Pete have a look at the seatbelt anchor it can squeak as it tends to swivel slightly when on the move . Had this on my last wrx, wd40 done the trick if i'm right stick the cheque in the post . G.
Old 18 March 2002, 10:28 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Sorry Graham, deffo not the seat belt.

Scoobyboy, no sunroof, drivers side of car, all speeds, happens over bumps and also occasionally when braking/accelerating hard never on flat smooth roads, loud, fast click sounds a bit like popping a bubble in bubble wrap, definately a click, not a rattle or a knock.
Cheers.

Old 19 March 2002, 01:01 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Click!
Old 19 March 2002, 04:16 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

PeteT,

I had same problem. And it was the sh1ty tape used in the roof to secure cables. There are three points, one either side of the light apprx 9" from the door pillars and one a dead centre of the roof lining at the back. Subaru used (on mine anyway) brown parcel tape, and it har come way from the metal of the roof, as the car moved so did the cables, but still in the tape, just sounded like bubble wrap, the tape had become sort of brittle. It takes a while to remove all the old stuff, well worth doing.

Go check your roof m8.

Leigh
Old 21 March 2002, 04:42 PM
Mash
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have a MY01 that might have the same fault! Sounds are difficult to describe, but does it sound like a large ball bearing or loose screew tapping against metal bodywork ?

Mine does and it comes from the drivers side betwen the front/rear doors in the A-pillar I think they call it that - I have had both door panels off to no avail and the plastic trim covering the seat belt. I thought it might be some sort of inertia sensor in the seat belt mechanism or in the side air bag sensor in the A pillar, but have not managed to locate it yet. I notice it makes a single tap each time I accelerate and then again when decelerating. Even over the slightest bump it can do it and other times it dont make a sound even over rough ground. The electrical cable theory may have some merit as they use plastic cable ties fitted ove studs to secure the cables, I have noticed that when they are not fully 'punched' down on the studs they do produce an un-feasibly loud tap when moved....could be the right area to look further...
Old 21 March 2002, 07:09 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Mash,
that sounds very similar to mine. If you look on the American version of Scoobynet (sorry, can't remember the name of it) and search under "click" there are a number of threads which talk about a broken weld somewhere near where the B pillar (the one between the doors) meets the floorpan. These all relate to the new Impreza so that could be your problem. I'm going to delve around on the floor of mine at the weekend so I'll post any findings here.
Old 22 March 2002, 02:18 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

How about the actual lock area of one of the doors? I had a similar problem on a 1.9 GTI Pug and found this to be the cause. The lock on the door was 'clicking' against the bar it clamps onto (if you know what I mean). I guess this may have been the result of a slightly dodgy lock, dodgy hinge or slightly offline door. If I put some tape around said bar the clicking stopped... You could try this or, it may sound silly, but get someone to actually open the doors slightly one by one as your driving around and can hear the noise. If it stops when one of the doors opens slightly hey presto!
Old 25 March 2002, 12:43 PM
Mash
Scooby Regular

Pete - have you fixed it yet ? mines still driving me nuts...I have had both the OS door panels off and every thing checks out OK. Got the wife to drive me round the block & am having real probs trying to locate the noise. In the drivers seat it sounds like the B pillar, but in the back it could be anywhere...

Quick Reply: £10 to anyone who can fix my click!