Sticky gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2009, 10:30 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sticky gearbox

Hi guys,

I've been the owner of a 98 wagon for the last couple of months now and an ongoing problem seems to be a slightly reluctant gearbox change. I'm aware the clutch is slightly slippy but the gearbox doesn't grind and most of the time it fully disengages when the clutch goes down - so I'm not overly concerned by the clutch. However the gear just refuses to go in sometimes, it's like I'm just pushing against solid steel. If I change into a few different gears and then back in it will go in. The best way I can explain it is that it feels like the gears aren't lined up properly for engagement, but when I push the gearstick into gear it doesn't force them to engage like it should. Changing the gear back out and in again serves to line them up properly.

As an interesting note I remember doing some research into estates a while back and I'm sure I remember reading that the Legacy had a few problems going into first and reverse. My most difficult gears are 1st, 3rd and reverse. 2nd and 4th are normally fine.

Any ideas please?
Old 16 November 2009, 10:37 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dragging clutch?

Does it change up OK at high RPM? Say 3 to 4th?

Shouldn't have to force it like that. Does it go in OK with the engine off?
Old 16 November 2009, 11:02 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember correctly I don't think I have problems going into 4th and 5th but I'm very aware that 1st, 3rd and R are a problem. 3rd is very common, probably because I use it the most. If the clutch was a problem though wouldn't there be a lot of grinding when the gear doesn't go in? Because there's no funny noises etc I'd think it wasn't the clutch...but I may be wrong.

Again I may be wrong but I don't think it has a problem when the engine's off and it doesn't happen at *every* gear change.

If I have a look tomorrow what should I look out for?

By the way I posted another thread earlier about a little spring which I found hanging loose under the car, about the size of your thumb and which appeared to be on top of the gearbox. I'm no expert but if you think it's a suspect it's at https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...-question.html. Perhaps the gear's not going in because that little spring helps guide the stick in. On the other hand, when I push the stick to the right you can feel it spring, so I don't know what's going on!