Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

EXPERT ON DCCD REQUIRED

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2009, 09:49 AM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXPERT ON DCCD REQUIRED

I want to change my MY05 STi steering wheel and the steering angle sensor mounted on the airbag sensor ring is causing me grief. If it wasn't used, what would be the outcome and affect on the DCCD?

Does anyone know for sure?
Old 05 November 2009, 12:08 PM
Robbied
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think the DCCD controller uses it for anything else other than opening the diff under full (steering) lock, mainly for getting around car parks and onto your driveway etc.

Certain aftermarket controllers can be mapped using steering angle as an input (combined with TPS, brake, etc etc) but I dont think an '04/05 road car uses it for this.

I know that if you disconnect it on a GpN car, nothing happens and the diff works in each map as it should..
Old 05 November 2009, 03:54 PM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robbied
I dont think the DCCD controller uses it for anything else other than opening the diff under full (steering) lock, mainly for getting around car parks and onto your driveway etc.

Certain aftermarket controllers can be mapped using steering angle as an input (combined with TPS, brake, etc etc) but I dont think an '04/05 road car uses it for this.

I know that if you disconnect it on a GpN car, nothing happens and the diff works in each map as it should..
Thanks for this mate, the Gp N rally car thing was a question I raised last night. I wondered though if even Gp N cars used the road gearbox/diff. So, just to confirm, when the Gp N cars are prepared the airbag sensor ring and steering angle sensor are removed from the car altogether and the diff still works?
Old 05 November 2009, 04:56 PM
Robbied
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the cars that have them as standard (04 onwards??), have to leave them in place as the manufacturers homologate the cars with them fitted (but with a different steering wheel and boss though..)

However, to the best of my knowledge they do not use them in the centre diff control strategy. I have written and developed gravel maps for the motec controller and that definately doesnt use steering angle. Im not 100% about the pectel unit.

FYI, 05/06 GpN cars use a standard 6sp casing but with new internals (hewland, PPG, ricardo etc etc) and OEM DCCD unit and plated front diff.
Old 05 November 2009, 05:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always drop Prodrive an email but you do understand that a UK car cannot be a Grp N car dont you? but you can make it into a rally car (but the JDM is a better starting point).

Tony
Old 05 November 2009, 06:39 PM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robbied
No, the cars that have them as standard (04 onwards??), have to leave them in place as the manufacturers homologate the cars with them fitted (but with a different steering wheel and boss though..)

However, to the best of my knowledge they do not use them in the centre diff control strategy. I have written and developed gravel maps for the motec controller and that definately doesnt use steering angle. Im not 100% about the pectel unit.

FYI, 05/06 GpN cars use a standard 6sp casing but with new internals (hewland, PPG, ricardo etc etc) and OEM DCCD unit and plated front diff.
Mate, you're way above me in all these names you are talking about.

Went to have a wee look before leaving work today and I can't be 100% sure but I think the sensor may not even be connected. From the airbag ring there is one yellow plug to the loom with two wires in it which match to the air bag plug, there is a black plug with four wires in it from the ring/angle sensor which connects to a black loom plug which has only 1 wire in it, I presume for the horn? I ran out of time and will check tomorrow, I may have lifted the wrong plug on the loom but I don't think so!
Old 06 November 2009, 09:53 AM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Followed the looms to the car loom, yellow plug has two wires which correspond to the actual airbag plug, connects to car via yellow plug, two wires. The other loom, steering angle sensor and horn, four wires, black plug, connects to a black plug on the car loom with, yes, you've guessed it: one bloody wire for the horn. What is this all about?

Guess mine hasn't got the steering sensor connected, no sign of corresponding wires on loom of car but my DCCD did work according to the dash and yes it also winds the diff on tight turns.

Interestingly, last night I read a bit about the DCCD on some forums in America, comments from various sources, one of which said that the DCCD should not be used on tarmac other than in auto, a mistake by Subaru? I don't know what truth there is in this.

Trending Topics

Old 06 November 2009, 10:53 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by badbaz
Interestingly, last night I read a bit about the DCCD on some forums in America, comments from various sources, one of which said that the DCCD should not be used on tarmac other than in auto, a mistake by Subaru? I don't know what truth there is in this.
No, its not true, hence why the classics (as they had no auto) use to use (well still do) a manual dccd, there is no problem in using the manual settings on a new age STI with the A-DCCD in manual mode on tarmac, but the auto will do a better job, but you will get to understand how your car works with it in manual and how it reacts, plus the yanks aint use to driving around corners

Tony
Old 08 November 2009, 09:14 PM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Can no one shed any light on why the sensor is there but not connected?