6 speed into classic

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2009, 11:23 PM
wrx mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed into classic

hi
whats needed to fit a 6 speedbox into a 95 wrx?
ie what box,flywheel,clutch and would the diff need changing and prop shaft
Old 27 October 2009, 12:32 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need the whole kit. For a classic the ideal i'm sure is all the gear from a V7 STi, so that's the gearbox with driveshafts all round, rear diff, gear linkage, gearbox cradles, flywheel and Propshaft to match. Then it's just a case of something like an Exedy twin plate clutch to finish off and you'll have an almost indestructible gearbox that will take incredible amounts of torque and abuse without letting you down.
Old 27 October 2009, 01:00 AM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

you will also need a large bank account.

The box will set you back a few grand
Old 27 October 2009, 07:56 AM
CRonson7
Scooby Regular

would the hubs also need changing?
Old 27 October 2009, 08:51 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

if you use a jap v7 sti box then you will need the rear hubs as the rear shafts are larger, however you can still use your existing front driveshaft. The v7 prop wont fit, you need the prop from an impreza automatic. This is the setup i have in my car, its very good, but the ratios were a bit low for me. The other option is a uk 6 speed, you can use your existing diff, providing its a 3.54 version & you will only need the box, prop & linkage. do a search for more info or speak to david at api or Alan at enginetuner
Old 27 October 2009, 09:15 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

That's the beauty of a motoring forum. There's always someone on here that's modified their car exactly they way you want yours. Nice one!!
Old 27 October 2009, 10:39 AM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
if you use a jap v7 sti box then you will need the rear hubs as the rear shafts are larger, however you can still use your existing front driveshaft. The v7 prop wont fit, you need the prop from an impreza automatic. This is the setup i have in my car, its very good, but the ratios were a bit low for me. The other option is a uk 6 speed, you can use your existing diff, providing its a 3.54 version & you will only need the box, prop & linkage. do a search for more info or speak to david at api or Alan at enginetuner

Is there a big difference between the uk spec and jap spec 6 speed gearbox?
powerwise?
Old 27 October 2009, 10:45 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

No it's the gear ratios.

UK 6spds are a bit longer and offer far more relaxed cruising although i think for most people the gear ratios are short enough anyway. Jap boxes have much shorter ratios and you'll find yourself frantically going for the next gear very shortly after you just changed gear right the way through. For everyday use i prefer the longer nature of the UK 5spd gears which is much moe relaxed, but if i were doing regular hillclimbs, sprints, trackdays etc...i would get a jap 6spd box and just replace 6th gear with a UK ratio for motorway cruising.
Old 27 October 2009, 11:31 AM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

depending on what box you have depends on what things you need to fit it, best box for uk classic would be uk 6 speed from a bug and all you would need is gearbox / 6 speed gear linkage/ and a 6 speed or auto prop shaft and thats it

you can use your classic diff ( but would always make sure they are the right match/ ratio ) and you can use your five speed clutch /flywheel and your starter motor and mounts and so on

depending on the box there are so many types some come with stubs in box and some with out but if you had a box with no stubs axles in you can buy the stubs and convert it

hope this helps
Old 27 October 2009, 11:40 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555
No it's the gear ratios.

UK 6spds are a bit longer and offer far more relaxed cruising although i think for most people the gear ratios are short enough anyway. Jap boxes have much shorter ratios and you'll find yourself frantically going for the next gear very shortly after you just changed gear right the way through. For everyday use i prefer the longer nature of the UK 5spd gears which is much moe relaxed, but if i were doing regular hillclimbs, sprints, trackdays etc...i would get a jap 6spd box and just replace 6th gear with a UK ratio for motorway cruising.
If only it were that simple, 5th & 6th are made as a pair of gears, so you have to change both, at which point you have created a UK box.

JDM 1st/2nd/3rd/4th are the same as Uk/Euro 2.0 6 speeders. Only 5th / 6th change.

The later Hawkeye 2.5 and 08 UK/ Euro cars and Forester turbo have a longer gear set all the way through. First I seem to recall, is the same on EVERY box at 3.646 : 1 but after that the Forester ratios are much longer and are generally accepted to be OK for 1/4 sprints etc.

SO: JDM 2.0 6 speeds are short geared and ideal for hill climbs etc.

UK/ Euro 2.0 6 speeds are better for cruising day to day etc.

2.5 6 speeds are long geared and suit 1/4 strip work well.
All seem to be very strong with just an inherent weakness of the synchro on 4/5/6 gears mostly, for which there is a cure these days.

On any older box it would be worth factoring in replacing those known-to- be-dodgy synchros before fitting it and finding that the box is in poor condition.

David APi

Watch out for our new rolling road coming on stream soon.

Agents for:

Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Carbonetics clutches
Hayward & Scott exhausts
BC suspension
Samco hose kits
Hybrid front mount intercooler kits
AP Racing brakes and clutches

And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com
www.apiimpreza.com