Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

dccd

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2009, 12:03 AM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dccd

hi there can anybody tell me what a dccd should be running if not connected to the controller? i only ask as ive just fitted a v-ltd box and diff but havnt yet wired it. up the car drives much much better but there is a strange noise and feeling coming from the back end when i turn from a junction it feels like its in the mid position on the thumb wheel (i have tryed my friends car with dccd in mid position). any help would be great
Old 22 October 2009, 06:45 AM
scoobRA
Scooby Regular

if the controller is not connected, it will be as open as it can be. in other words, as rear as it can be.
Old 22 October 2009, 08:52 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What car was the box fitted to?

Tony
Old 22 October 2009, 12:26 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
What car was the box fitted to?

Tony
its been fitted to a uk 1999
Old 22 October 2009, 12:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Did you change the rear diff?

Tony
Old 22 October 2009, 12:34 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobRA
if the controller is not connected, it will be as open as it can be. in other words, as rear as it can be.
ok thanks can you tell me if the noise im hearing is because the diff controller is not wired up? also the rear diff seems tight after a short run?
Old 22 October 2009, 12:34 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Did you change the rear diff?

Tony
yes mate
Old 22 October 2009, 12:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The rear diff is definately a 3.9 ratio and not a 4.44?

Tony
Old 22 October 2009, 02:01 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

^^ as Tony says above, check then check again.

I destroyed a centre diff during a sprint as the rear and centre weren't the same ratios. It showed the same symptoms (I'd just fitted DCCD too) then big bang (on railway straight at Aintree- some of you may know it )
Old 22 October 2009, 02:02 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by danny-goddard
ok thanks can you tell me if the noise im hearing is because the diff controller is not wired up? also the rear diff seems tight after a short run?
The centre diff will run open if not connected.
Old 22 October 2009, 04:13 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What model classic V limited box as they run with all sorts of varieties? They can be 3.9, but can also be other ratios too - see here: The SPDA - Transmission Chart

I used to run 4.44 front and rear diffs with a classic dccd, for instance.

If a classic v limited then an unconnected dccd box will be roughly two thirds rear drive , one third front drive and will be as smooth to drive as a normal box. It really does sound like you've got mismatched front and rear diff ratios an dthis will kill the dccd very quickly if so.
Old 22 October 2009, 07:01 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
What model classic V limited box as they run with all sorts of varieties? They can be 3.9, but can also be other ratios too - see here: The SPDA - Transmission Chart

I used to run 4.44 front and rear diffs with a classic dccd, for instance.

If a classic v limited then an unconnected dccd box will be roughly two thirds rear drive , one third front drive and will be as smooth to drive as a normal box. It really does sound like you've got mismatched front and rear diff ratios an dthis will kill the dccd very quickly if so.
im 95% happy it is the same diff as i witnessed it coming out the car with the gear box the donner was running fine is there anything else this could be caused by?
Old 22 October 2009, 10:10 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

ok cards on table time--- my gearbox and diff came from my mate who rolled his car and ended up breaking it for spares. after a while he bought another v-ltd it was the same year same spec same everything it was even the next one off the production line the 1st one was number 176 and his new one is number 177 (freaky i know) however he seemed to like the feel of his old gear box better and decided to swap it from his old car to his new one. he didnt howerver change the diff as he said for sure the ratios would be the same???? his car drives with no noise or problems at all. so that left me with the box from one car and the diff from another. could this be the problem we didnt think it could be but im sure one of you out there will have a answer for us
Old 22 October 2009, 10:14 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Mine had no other symptoms other than what felt like a tight diff when manoevering at low speed, but this isn't abnormal for a dccd box, and I put it down to that.

Just looking for the photos of the remains of my centre
Old 22 October 2009, 10:27 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Old 22 October 2009, 10:37 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

ouch mate was that coused bye the wrong diff then?
Old 22 October 2009, 10:40 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

The rear diff is definately a 3.9 ratio and not a 4.44?

Tony
can you tell me how to do the math please
Old 22 October 2009, 10:48 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by danny-goddard
ouch mate was that coused bye the wrong diff then?
Yep- It did manage to do three (hard) practice runs for the sprint, on road tyres- cadwell the days before (dry, full slicks) and castle combe the day before that (wet, on full wets).

I'm really surprised that it lasted as long as it did as it used to get so much abuse. It used to eat rear diffs regularly; this happened the same week as I fitted the DCCD centre and 'matched, from the same car' rear diff- as I was told- which turned out to be slightly less than true....

Fortunately we have the rather excellent David at API who sorted it all out for me. Think I still have the knackered box.. must weigh it in.
Old 22 October 2009, 11:30 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
Yep- It did manage to do three (hard) practice runs for the sprint, on road tyres- cadwell the days before (dry, full slicks) and castle combe the day before that (wet, on full wets).

I'm really surprised that it lasted as long as it did as it used to get so much abuse. It used to eat rear diffs regularly; this happened the same week as I fitted the DCCD centre and 'matched, from the same car' rear diff- as I was told- which turned out to be slightly less than true....

Fortunately we have the rather excellent David at API who sorted it all out for me. Think I still have the knackered box.. must weigh it in.
do you know how i can work out if ive got the right diff
Old 23 October 2009, 12:29 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Mods, can you move this to drivetrain please?
Old 23 October 2009, 12:34 AM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
Mods, can you move this to drivetrain please?
sorry i dont know what you mean
Old 23 October 2009, 07:57 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I'm asking the moderators to move it to 'drivetrain' - you'll get better advice from the mechanically minded members that don't read the 'general' sevtion
Old 23 October 2009, 09:05 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Danny
I'd would ring David at API as mentioned above - he does lots of box/diff swaps for members on here.

But, firstly although it seems unlikely that the diff should be different if you genuinely saw it come out of one car and go in with definitely the matching box, to remove all doubt and to begin to answer the question about whether its a 3.9 or a 4.1 or a 4.44 diff, you ideally need can you tell us what gearbox code was on the side of the box e.g. Ty752 xxxx or TY754xxx and you can then check (from that SPDA chart I gave you the link to) what front diff you definitely have in that box and then what transfer gears you have/should have i.e. 1.1:1 or 1:1. That will then tell you what rear diff you need, as it's by no means definite that you need a 3.9.

The same questions will be asked by the likes of David or any competent garage so best to find out the answers first. In terms of finding out what rear diff you have the usual way is to count the number of teeth on the crown wheel - which you can do by removing one of the inspection bolts on the back of the diff through which you will be able to see the teeth. Put a dab of tippex on one tooth and with all 4 car wheels jacked off the ground - rotate the wheels, counting the teeth until the tippex comes back into view. The number of teeth will tell the likes of David what diff you have - can't remember the numbers myself I'm afraid.

Post the gearbox code in here if you'd like me or someone else to double check against the chart as well.

Good luck

FB

Last edited by Fat Boy; 23 October 2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 23 October 2009, 03:13 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Danny
I'd would ring David at API as mentioned above - he does lots of box/diff swaps for members on here.

But, firstly although it seems unlikely that the diff should be different if you genuinely saw it come out of one car and go in with definitely the matching box, to remove all doubt and to begin to answer the question about whether its a 3.9 or a 4.1 or a 4.44 diff, you ideally need can you tell us what gearbox code was on the side of the box e.g. Ty752 xxxx or TY754xxx and you can then check (from that SPDA chart I gave you the link to) what front diff you definitely have in that box and then what transfer gears you have/should have i.e. 1.1:1 or 1:1. That will then tell you what rear diff you need, as it's by no means definite that you need a 3.9.

The same questions will be asked by the likes of David or any competent garage so best to find out the answers first. In terms of finding out what rear diff you have the usual way is to count the number of teeth on the crown wheel - which you can do by removing one of the inspection bolts on the back of the diff through which you will be able to see the teeth. Put a dab of tippex on one tooth and with all 4 car wheels jacked off the ground - rotate the wheels, counting the teeth until the tippex comes back into view. The number of teeth will tell the likes of David what diff you have - can't remember the numbers myself I'm afraid.

Post the gearbox code in here if you'd like me or someone else to double check against the chart as well.

Good luck

FB
ok thank you ive just had the cover off the rear diff and there are 39 teeth on the crown and 10 on the input shaft so by my calculations the rear diff is a 3.9 im really stuck now ps the gear box code is ty52vb4ca

Last edited by danny-goddard; 23 October 2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 23 October 2009, 07:38 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Yep 3.9 diff and the right one according to the chart- so can only be a 1:1 trasnfer gear set up, the diffs are all right and its a 65R 35F split.

Hmmm, the plates in the centre diff might be worn out or wrong transmission fluid - its an LSD type oil not a usual gearbox oil. Beyond that it might just be a rooted box? again I'd give David oBrien a call at API - he's very approachable and happy to give advice or to help
Old 23 October 2009, 08:12 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Yep 3.9 diff and the right one according to the chart- so can only be a 1:1 trasnfer gear set up, the diffs are all right and its a 65R 35F split.

Hmmm, the plates in the centre diff might be worn out or wrong transmission fluid - its an LSD type oil not a usual gearbox oil. Beyond that it might just be a rooted box? again I'd give David oBrien a call at API - he's very approachable and happy to give advice or to help
thank you for all your feed back the only thing im thinking now is the oil i put 75-90 gear oil in it is this wrong?
Old 23 October 2009, 09:04 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

As you've probably found out there is loads of contrary opinion on which oil is right but John Felstead on here/22B seems to be as well informed as anyone having spent ages researching the dccd and he has been very happy with Redline Heavyweight shockproof in his despite some people saying its not suitable, he did lots of trackdays etc with that in his dccd. It seems like synthetic 75W90 can display similar sounds to what you describe. Might be worth a whirl.
Old 23 October 2009, 10:14 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

ok where can i get this oil ?? many thanks
Old 24 October 2009, 12:50 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Quite a long time ago now, i changed my mind on the Redline heavy shock proof oil being the best oil to use in a Subaru box.

It worked fine for me for many hard miles on track, but after talking with the Redline oil engineers in the USA i was told by them that this oil should not be used in gearboxes that have a central shaft lubrication feed path, which the Subaru has.

Redline heavy shockproof has synthetic ***** suspended in the oil that cushion the load points, when the oil is inside a spinning shaft the ***** get centrifuged out of the oil so you don't have a consistent lubricant feeding the bearings.

It may work OK for you, as it did for me, but i cant hand on heart recommend it based on what Redline's engineers told me.

I've been using Millers range of motorsport oils ever since, I'm currently using their Nano technology oil in my STI9 box and diff. I think the Motorsport oil in the box may need to come out for winter, as it's tightened up the syncros a little when cold, so once we get to freezing temps it may be better to go to a normal GL5, but thats to be decided upon yet based on if it gets any worse than it is right now.
Old 24 October 2009, 12:57 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Oil for the gearbox is not an LSD type oil, it has to be a normal none LSD oil in there, otherwise the syncros wont work properly.

The rear diff, asuming it has the correct plated LSD, needs an LSD type oil.

Quick Reply: dccd