Which centre de-cat

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2002, 11:03 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Next mod.

MY97 UK, scoobysport bb, want to add de-cat centre, keeping the downpipe as standard (good or bad idea ?), which one should I go for, and will it pass an MOT.

Cheers,

Leigh
Old 14 March 2002, 10:17 AM
madras
Scooby Regular

LeighJ,

I've got a MY98 UK, with Prodrive back box, I had a decat downpipe fitted by PowerEngineering it gave an instant 20bhp on their rolling road, a few months later I fitted a scoobysport decat centre section, it didn't seem to make much difference, except to the noise levels.

The car was MOT'd about two weeks, I had to re-fit the centre cat, it passed the emmission test fisrt time no problems.

If I was you I would go for the back box and the downpipe, then there won't be any MOT problems.

Pete
Old 14 March 2002, 10:34 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

i fitted a scoobysport back box to my 97,then a ss mid section, passed the mot fine
mark
Old 14 March 2002, 04:04 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Up until a few weeks back, I had a WR Sport BB, with standard centre and downpipe.

Then I got a Scoobysport downpipe, and then this week a Magnex centre with resonator.

If you're intending to change either centre or downpipe, do the downpipe IMHO.

Cheers
Tim
Old 15 March 2002, 03:08 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

With my MY96, the centre c change gave more low down torque. Not a huge amount, but I noticed more urgency.

P.
Old 15 March 2002, 06:55 PM
D3MAN
Scooby Regular

I have a scoobysport backbox and decat centre, passed MOT last week no probs. Well pleased with it. MY96.
Dave
Old 18 March 2002, 11:40 AM
SSE
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi Tim - What happened to the noise after fitting the Magnex centre? Much louder? It is mainly the 2500-3000 rpm range I'm interested in.

Regards,
Simen.
Old 18 March 2002, 06:32 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Hi Simen,

Had the centre on for about a week now, my findings are:

I didn't expect as much of a performance increase as I appear to have got. Seems to have even more torque low down, and really flys at high revs.

Has made the turbo whistle and wastegate more audible than with just the downpipe, but I don't find this sound intrusive. Does accentuate the sound of the backbox though, and this is both a good and a bad thing:

When accelerating hard, it sounds fantastic and above 4000rpm takes on a really hard, aggressive edge, with deep rumbles when lifting off.

Didn't find it noisier at lower revs, however, I did find it too intrusive on the motorway, at a steady 80-85mph (3000-3500rpm) there was an annoying boom from the backbox.

Yesterday I spent some time laying good quality carpet underlay underneath the back seat and in the boot (mine is a wagon remember) - this was recommended in answer to a post I made in ICE forum.

It now seems a lot better - in fact I'm convinced it's no noisier at steady speed on the motorway now than with just the backbox. Young dude at the carpet shop couldn't believe I wanted to make it quieter, almost refused to sell me the underlay on principle LOL

I was thinking about a Remus backbox to may be quieten it down a bit more, but I probably won't bother now, carpet underlay at 10% of the cost seems to have done the job

Hope that's of some help!

Cheers
Tim
Old 22 March 2002, 10:41 PM
SSE
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Tim & thanks for the reply.
Only read it today and have already ordered my centre section
from Motorsportworld. Magnex not in stock so decided to try out
the Black Diamond silenced CS which apparently is pretty similar to the Magnex.

As you may have read elsewhere, I have already ditched the Remus
(swapped with a friend's Magnex who wanted something quieter and he's now VERY satisfied.) Well, a P1 WR box is on it's way and I bought it believing that it might be a tad quieter than the Magnex, but if it's true what people claim -that it's the same as a Scorpion- it won't be VERY quiet that's for sure. A friend has a straight through decatted Scorpion and it's the most insane sound I've ever heard Doesn't really bother me - (but the missus) but now at least she knows I've tried
BTW I've also done the soundproofing carpet thing in the boot,
but not sure if it made any difference....

Still wind down the window in tunnels though, so both happy
and not so happy at the same time. HAHA!
Well, enough bu//**** from me for now.

Simen.
Old 23 March 2002, 01:20 PM
Lunchie
Scooby Regular

Hi

I've also got a wagon (MY99) and have a ScoobySport backbox on it. I'm thinking of getting the downpipe done - is there much increase in noise, or does that only happen with the decat centre section? Maybe a trip to the carpet shop is in order as well!

Would this combo give me a reasonable performance increase, and would anythng else need doing, or does the standard ECU cope with this mod? Does this give just a bhp increase or is there any improvement in low down torque, which is what I'm most interested in.

Always wondered, but I'm getting closer to buying now so thought I'd ask, looking at Group N+ brake kit, and wondering whether the wife will notice if I sneak this on at the same time!.

Thanks in advance

Lunchie
Old 23 March 2002, 01:47 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Lunchie,

I found that the Scoobysport downpipe doesn't add much noise, but is a very worthwhile mod. You will hear some strange noises, like the turbo spinning and the wastegate chattering, but these are not intrusive.

Adding the centre Magnex (with resonator) made the turbo/wastegate noises more noticeable but still not intrusive. More performance again

However, the downpipe and centre together did seem to increase the backbox noise quite a bit - I guess as a result of the improved gas flow. A Scoobysport BB is considerably louder to start with than mine (WR Sport).

My advice is to change the downpipe first and see how you go. I found carpet underlay under the rear seat and in the boot toned it down a bit.

I haven't had any problems with the standard ECU since changing the exhaust.

As for low down torque - now pulls cleanly from 1000rpm, in traffic queues I only need to use up to 1500rpm these days. MPG seems to be 1-2mpg better on commuting trip

Cheers
Tim

[Edited by NBW - 3/23/2002 1:50:12 PM]
Old 23 March 2002, 01:52 PM
Lunchie
Scooby Regular

Tim

Thanks for that! I can hear the sound of money changing hands....

Lunchie