Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Anyone in South East running full de-cat & Remux BB on a wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2002, 05:19 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I would be interested to meet up, and compare with my SS DP/Magnex resonated centre and WR Sport, regarding noise on the motorway.

Email me direct if interested (I am near St. Albans BTW, but will travel if necessary).

Cheers
Tim
Old 13 March 2002, 05:23 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Tim,

Can't help you real time ... but I used to have a full decat + Remus BB.

The sound is hardly stronger than with a full standard system (I had to open the windows to really hear the exhaust).

It is a restrictive system, but it is also very decent/civilized, and if you are after "normal" sound levels, you should not hesitate, go for the Remus.

Just 0.2 cents, don't take my word for it, but I'm sure you'll find out later that my information is correct

Theo
Old 13 March 2002, 05:45 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Theo,

Thanks, I will probably go down the Remus route, but exhaust noise is so subjective, it would be nice to compare before I buy.

Cheers
Tim
Old 13 March 2002, 06:16 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Sure Tim, agree with subjective bit. Try before you buy.

To be totally clear ... since then I changed the BB for a Scoobysport one, and the sound is (almost scientific this) about 10 dBA difference. If not more.

So I'm not defending "my choice", just relating my experience.

Theo

PS: I'm assuming you mean the double pipe one ?
Old 13 March 2002, 06:57 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Theo,

The only Remus one I was aware of has 2x90mm tailpipes, checked one their website.

I'd love the sound of Scoobysport, but too loud for 70% of my driving!

Cheers
Tim
Old 13 March 2002, 07:47 PM
SSE
Scooby Regular

Hi again,

Just feel like commenting a bit
Started out with a standard system, then changed BB to Remus,
then got rid of cat in centre section, then got a decat DP
(same design as SSport but mild steel) then changed BB to
Magnex 6x4.

Sound has increased a bit every time, I would say the DP and Magnex did the biggest additions to noise, hwvr the Remus does the far better job in preventing decat DP and centre setup from becoming annoying. But fully decatted with Remus is still way louder than standard, both outside and inside.
I have made direct comparisons the last couple of days, getting from one car direct to the other which made the differences obvious. We also swapped standard BB with Remus on a car with decat big bore DP and standard centre, and it DID pull far better
all the way through to the limiter, and it did add a bit more meaty sound which was actually just pleasant - wouldn't call it
noise. What surprised me was how much more free flowing it proved to be compared to the standard. I have always been sceptical towards the Remus' contribution to flow, but not anymore.
But again, it still seems to be a tad more restrictive than the Magnex.

But back to the noise - changing from Remus to Magnex on my car has made the choice of gear when cruising pretty important, in order to avoid a sort of helicopter rotor sound between 2500 and 3000rpm.... Don't get me wrong - It really is nice when pushing it - and I'm really enjoy it- but my better half doesn't
I won't have any problems living with the noise, but it'll make me need even more goodwill from the missus when overtaking other cars etc, as it sounds like going even faster now

I fitted sound proofing mats to the trunk floor yesterday and I think it has reduced the noise a little bit.... Maybe I'm just defending the expenditure and work
Haven't decided what to do yet, but if I get rid of the Magnex, I guess I'll go for the Prodrive WR box to see how that works.

Oh well.... Best way is to try the options out for yourself.
Good luck to you anyway
Simen.
Old 14 March 2002, 12:05 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

I'd pretty much agree with Simen there.
For listening purposes, I'm actually within - lobbing something quite small - distance of St Albans (I think where you are?) & have a Remus stashed away for those long journeys in the attic; just not too sure when I'd be 'available' as my time doesn't seem to be my own at the moment

Oops - forgot to say non-hunchback but full SS decat

[Edited by nom - 3/14/2002 12:06:02 AM]
Old 14 March 2002, 09:09 AM
NBW
Scooby Regular

nom,

May be if we met up, you could compare the noise in my car with your 'memory' of the Remus on yours? I'm only really concerned about steady motorway speed, just if you say mine's really quiet in comparison, there's not much point in me buying a Remus.

If it's not that far I can come to you - mail me off list - there'd be a pint in it for you

Cheers
Tim
Old 14 March 2002, 09:36 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Okey dokey, mail whizzing your way!
Old 14 March 2002, 10:49 AM
PING
Scooby Regular

Cool

NBW,

Sorry to butt in, but I'd be really interested in your outcome with Nom ... thinking of a Remus BB to replace a Standard MY00 Pea Shooter ... the comments about better flow, etc. are appealling, but the volume is an issue as I've posted on the thread ''Quietish BB's''

Good luck.

Steve