Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Quietish BB's

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2002, 08:16 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I want to change the BB on my MY00 (adding a Dawes MBC and ITG Panel filter too), but not to a loud'un. I've had suggested a Magnex 3 1/2'' as a civilised alternative to the standard BB ... any comment please?

Steve
Old 10 March 2002, 08:40 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STi and Prodrive backboxes are quiet as is the Remus. Don't know about the Magnex. Even decat with Prodrive very easy to live with.
Old 10 March 2002, 08:58 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

I guess the STI and Prodrive are bought from Prodrive ...?
Old 10 March 2002, 09:58 PM
kiaz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ping,just fited a Magnex 6+4 oval today.Bought it second hand in the for sale bit for £150.Build quality is excellent and the sound is superb,a lovely deep burble at tick over and a nice roar when you gun it but not to loud so its annoying.Looks great on the car and fits snugly in the cut out in the bumper.Best £150 spent in a long time
Old 11 March 2002, 10:17 AM
PING
Scooby Regular

Kiaz,

What did you have on before? The Magnex I'm sure sounds great, but is it much louder than the standard?

P
Old 11 March 2002, 11:40 AM
SSE
Scooby Regular

Red face

Steve,

I was running a decat mild steel DP, standard midsection with cat
removed, and a Remus BB. Actually sounds nice, not so much outspoken 'aftermarket exhaust' note, but more a mix of engine and exhaust, still with the nice boxer warble, though. Easy to live with, reasonably quiet inside car (MY00 5dr) but not at all quiet outside. However on Saturday I exchanged the BB with a friend's Magnex 6x4, and it's far noisier now. More so inside the car than outside. Must say I hadn't really expected that much noise after reading people's posts about e.g. Scoobysport vs Magnex etc etc.

Quite frankly I do actually find the Magnex a bit annoying between 2500 and 3000rpm, sounds like a helicopter (waffwaffwaff... ) That's why the previous owner wanted to get rid of it. BUT the howl on high RPM/WOT is fabulous, and my problem is the missus don't quite agree!! Which means I must now drive EVEN MORE carefully not to **** her off.... Oh, well might get used to it after a while, but now actually thinking of swapping back to Remus.
Will have to check out how it works on longer (+ 200km) trips first.

Simen.
Old 11 March 2002, 11:48 AM
PING
Scooby Regular

SSE

The Magnex sounds a bit too loud for me (and defo my wife like you!), but the Remus sounds promising ... I like to be able to hear music in the car, not just the exhaust note, no matter how beautiful it may be!

Steve
Old 11 March 2002, 12:55 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have a Remus backbox as well - with a MRT downpipe and centre.

It is VERY quiet - less noise than the OE system but flows a lot better....

In the UK, the main dealer seems to be Elite in Essex.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 11 March 2002, 01:04 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got the WR prodrive jobbie. I think it sounds the best of all I have heard IMHO but it gets a bit droney on the daily commute. The WOT and fast stuff sound great but this doesn't happen that often....

If only we could have an adjustable one like the legacy system?

F
Old 11 March 2002, 06:12 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

PING -

The WR Sport makes a lovely noise - just a bit annoying on the motorway at a steady 80ish. I have a wagon which is worse for soundproofing anyway. I'm hoping a Magnex resonated centre will tame this a bit - it's being fitted tomorrow, will post after.

Must admit I could be persuaded to try Remus if it's a bit quieter. Oh, and I like the look of those twin 90mm pipes

Also, suggest you try ringing a few more dealers, what your dealer said doesn't stack up. What they may be talking about is the backbox from a PPP - this is not available seperately, only the P1 and the oval WR Sport. Were they trying to persuade you to get the PPP per chance - one tried this on with me to!

Cheers
Tim
Old 11 March 2002, 06:32 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Thanks to all for the input ...

Seems that the Remus is quietist, if not the best sound ... as you say Floyd - great sounds are wonderful when you get the chance to have a blast, but this doesn't happen often enough!

Tim,
I think you're right about the PPP BB ... I think the dealer was either confused or hoping I would spend a lot more money!
Mines a wagon too, so soundproofing is more of an issue.

Gavin,
Thanks for the name ... you feel it's quieter than the original fitted ... that's seriously quiet then!

One advantage of the Remus is it's a lot cheaper - £200 ish as opposed to 350ish for a Prodrive I think.

Having said all of this, I guess it IS worth changing just the BB isn't it?

Steve
Old 12 March 2002, 05:01 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi,

I've had an STI IV BB offered to me second hand ... does anyone know if the Remus is quieter than this?

Thanks

Steve
Old 12 March 2002, 05:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Theo said he tried a Remus and found it more restrictive than the standard twin pea shooter, but GavinP rates the Remus. The STi one is probably only like the original twin pea shooter with a different tip from what I heard - quite restrictive.
Old 12 March 2002, 05:35 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Yep, I've found the Remus as Gavin says - it might be measurably more restructive than the entirely flow-through type, but not worth thinking about. I noticed a marginal - and I mean enough to not care about unless in an obsessive mood - reduction from a Scoobysport to a Remus. Wayyyy better than the standard pea-shooter anyway
Old 12 March 2002, 05:38 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

John

Thanks ... beginning to think that I'll wait 'til I can do the whole exhaust as it sounds like I will only gain a great sound and not much flow improvement.

Steve
Old 12 March 2002, 05:38 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Echo that.

The STi BB flows the same as the original, sound levels the same too. Just a single, larger exit pipe. All it does is look better IMO.
Old 12 March 2002, 05:42 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Question

Nom,

You're saying that the Remus is good from for both performance improvement and low noise then .. ?
Old 12 March 2002, 05:44 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jay,

Thanks .. clears that up ... the Remus or nowt then ...

Steve
Old 12 March 2002, 05:45 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Steve,

I did the Remus backbox before the downpipe and mid section and it flows a lot better than the standard pea shooter !

Before my car wouldn't rev beyond about 6500rpm - after it got to 6800.... (auto box) Not a definitive measurement by any means but does show it is less restrictive

I haven't tried any other backboxes so I don't have anything to compare against (apart from OE) - the downpipe and centre change did make a much larger difference though.

If you want quiet, then it is king but there is probably more performance available if you can take a bit more noise...

Thanks

Gavin
Old 12 March 2002, 05:49 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Gavin ...

Currently, I like quiet ... this could change though as the quest for performance increases!

Steve
Old 12 March 2002, 08:21 PM
kiaz
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ping,i did have a standard bb before and i was concerned,as u r,with a after market exhaust being too loud,but in my opinion the magnex is perfect for me and the wife.
Yes it is a bit louder then standard but by no means annoying you just hear the warble more:d plus the build quality is supperb.
Hope u get what u r after soon, Kiaz
Old 12 March 2002, 08:59 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Anyone near Hertfordshire with a full de-cat and a Remus backbox, ideally in a classic wagon?

Would be interested to meet up to compare with my Scoobysport/Magnex/WR Sport system.

(Considering swopping the backbox to Remus if much quieter).

Cheers
Tim
Old 12 March 2002, 10:34 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Kiaz,

Jamie at performance exhausts sent me an MP3 file of the Magnex BB ... does sound smooth I must admit and not outrageous when pushed! I'll find what I want in the end ... hopefully!

Steve
Old 12 March 2002, 10:53 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have an oval WR backbox that I'm taking off and changing for a PPP one shortly (cos I want a round one not an oval one......how sad).

I've got a scoobysport dp, magnex centre (with resonator) and the WR bb. I think the noise is just right. I drive a good 70 miles a day commuting and it's all on fast B roads. I don't find the noise at all intrusive. A friend has a scoobysport on a non-decatted car and I find that just too noisy.
Old 12 March 2002, 11:39 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Simonh,
I'd agree with you, thi wrsport box (oval) is agreat sound shame about the shape abd size. How do you get a ppp bb.

hawkeye
Old 13 March 2002, 12:39 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

There's one for sale here if you're after one! Doubt it'll be around for long
Old 13 March 2002, 08:54 AM
b5m
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

So the STi backbox is the same as standard just in stainless steel with a big exit pipe? That is a serious waste of time then. On the STi site they mumble about their exhausts which are free flowing and have a deeper sound(translated from Japanese). Are there 2 types of STi exhausts then???? Both stainless with STi logo and large exit pipe cos I am confused???
Old 13 March 2002, 11:09 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
b5m

The STi BB I'm refering to is the STD one that is OE on the old shape WRX STi's, say a V4 for example. They are not Stainless steel either, the tip might be, but the silencer isn't.

hope that clarifies things

Justin
Old 13 March 2002, 11:38 AM
b5m
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Thanks Jay m A/Justin, I understand now. So most STi backboxes are just the normal one but with a stainless exit pipe. Is the box on the P1 with the STi logo the same? I presume it is.
Old 13 March 2002, 12:59 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Not sure, with the P1 prodrove did a introduce a few new bits and bobs, the backbox could have been a special I suppose.

Quick Reply: Quietish BB's