Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

tappet noise

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2002, 06:27 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just wondering if anyone has the same. my car is the legacy turbo using the same engine as the impreza (EJ20 turbo).
quite often, i can be driving along at say 2500revs in fifth gear, then without accelerating, and while still on a flat road, the tappets can become considerably louder.
after 'x' amount of time, it will just disappear again!
any ideas, is it tappets knackered, or oil supply problems etc?

any help appreciated

ian

p.s. car now done 66000miles with full subaru service history. oil changed 3000miles ago using genuine filter and shell helix oil (as used by subaru dealer).
Old 10 March 2002, 07:45 PM
Luke
BANNED

Mate

Ive a legacy also . Mine sometimes get this noise. I call it "The time to change oil warning"!! I some times use "Fortes" or "Wynns" Oil cleaner/rinse stuff. This is used to clean out any Gunk in the engine . This helps cure the problem. Also what oil do you use??? make it about 10/15 -40/50.

I was informed by one of the most respected Scoob \Mechanics in the country that it is "Normal" and other that Solid lifters etc been fitted ££££ , good oil every 3000 miles and a oil rinse will help.
Old 10 March 2002, 08:42 PM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

Mine does this too and I must admit that it gets notably worse when approaching oil change time. I also stick in a can of engine flush before hand to try and get rid of the maximum amount of crud.

It does still tap randomly after changing the oil, just not as much or as loudly. Problem is that when it is tapping the knock sensor hears it and retards the ignition, stealing lots of grunt in the process! Grrr, I need to make the sensor a bit less sensitive but aren't sure of the best material to use.
Old 10 March 2002, 10:48 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Wink

hi guys, thanks for the reply. the oil used is the same as the subaru dealers use to service the car, its Shell Helix Plus 10W/40. and always use a subaru filter.
i have to say though, it can be just as loud even 1000miles after an oil change.
i was told that they altered the design of the tappets/buckets for the impreza, but not sure if that is true.
i suppose if you other legacy owners hear the same noises, then i shouldnt get worried, but it does have loud tappet noise quite often, and comes and goes as it pleases.

thanks again

ian