Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Unable to select any gear

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2009, 10:09 PM
notfub
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to select any gear

About 3 weeks ago I bought a nice bugeye, drove it home 300+ miles no problem. Since then, it's been on the drive while I've been using (and trying to sell my classic).

Today, after being idle for three weeks, the battery lost it's power and the alarm started going off. After charging it for 2hrs, I jumped in and it started straight away. After waiting 15 mins or so to get things nice and warm I tried to select reverse. Nothing! What about 2nd, nothing . Any gear at all, nothing. I was depressing clutch and trying to select a gear but it would not engage.

The clutch felt fine, no noises when depressing the clutch indicating bearing wear. The return spring was connected at the top of the box and the little mechanism/gaiter moved in and out with each clutch pedal stroke.

If a little gentle force was used to engage a gear, the engine revs dipped very slightly, enough for me not want to risk forcing a gear home and darting forwards/backwards.

I switched off the engine. Trying all the gears worked fine as you'd expect. Starting the car again, it was impossible to get the car in gear as before. I did not try putting the car into 1st/reverse and then starting it just in case.

Now what makes this a bit of a mystery is that the car was perfect the last time I had driven it. It's been driven with extreme sympathy on the way back from it's previous owner. No signs of impending gearbox issues, in fact the box was great and one of the best things about the car. Sweet and precise gear changes, no noises etc, just how it should be.

The box is a 2006 WRX 5 speed item on a 2001 bugeye. Cutch fluid res is showing fluid just below max and fluid is fresh and clean by the look of it.

Would time spent sat idle have siezed something?

Would a clutch just go without any warning whatsoever?

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be welcome, thanks.

Dean.
Old 10 June 2009, 10:38 PM
adehook
Scooby Regular

sounds like a thrust gone or seised up
Old 11 June 2009, 01:43 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

Had exactly the same issue with my car the other week. Drove it home from work and parked it up for an hour, jumped back in and couldn't select any gears. When i tried to push the gear lever into a gear, the rev's started to dip just as you said. I turned the engine off and could select the gears fine, so i stared the engine with the car in gear and the clutch depressed and it's been fine since, not a hint of the problem. Give it a try, just make sure your not parked close to anything.
Old 11 June 2009, 02:10 PM
notfub
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Adehook, hopefully Taylor's suggestion will work.

Nice one Taylor I'll give it a go tonight mate.
Old 11 June 2009, 09:42 PM
notfub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by "Taylor"
Had exactly the same issue with my car the other week. Drove it home from work and parked it up for an hour, jumped back in and couldn't select any gears. When i tried to push the gear lever into a gear, the rev's started to dip just as you said. I turned the engine off and could select the gears fine, so i stared the engine with the car in gear and the clutch depressed and it's been fine since, not a hint of the problem. Give it a try, just make sure your not parked close to anything.
Taylor is a genius! Your suggestion worked a treat.

I rolled my car off the drive and onto my quiet street. Popped it into 1st and turned the ignition. I could feel a slight movement as the car edged forward a few inches, then the clutch kicked in and the car stopped. Went for a small test drive and the gearchange was back to normal, nice and smooth

What a result.

Guess I'll not be leaving my car on the drive for 3 weeks in the future.
Old 12 June 2009, 08:42 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

Great stuff!