Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Any guess on cost to fix 6 speed box?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2009, 05:17 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any guess on cost to fix 6 speed box?

Hey all,

Just wonder if anyone has comparison of gearbox repair prices, my issues (hopefully) will be just 3rd and 5th gear replacement, syncros (I guess alloy ones and not steel like I've heard the japs get ). I've also got a whine on motorway cruise so wonder if something else is a little on the worn side...

Any thoughts on cost if someone else has had similar done?
Old 03 June 2009, 07:56 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David @ Welcome to the API website may be worth a call for this.
Old 04 June 2009, 12:41 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by swisstonihasher
Hey all,

Just wonder if anyone has comparison of gearbox repair prices, my issues (hopefully) will be just 3rd and 5th gear replacement, syncros (I guess alloy ones and not steel like I've heard the japs get ). I've also got a whine on motorway cruise so wonder if something else is a little on the worn side...

We do lots of 'freshen ups ' on 6 speeders. There is rarely anything serious wrong.

Subaru modified the 4th /5th /6th synchro rings a year or so back with 'carbon' coated ones. These seem to fix the poor synchro that afflicts certain gears.

The noise is most likely the rear drop gear bearings and again we replace a lot of those. They take all the load of the output shaft and are rather hard working as a consequence.

The alloy or steel thing relates to selector forks. The early bugeye 6 speeders had steel selector forks. They are now only fitted to Spec C RA. And are quite rare [ expensive ] to retro fit. Standard STI spec alloy ones don't seem to cause any trouble, although steel would be better if you have them.

ALL Subaru selector forks have 'nylon' anti noise pads fitted on the selector forks and these wear away with use. They are part of the fork and cannot be replaced, unless by a new fork. We can do a mod where we replace the 'nylon' pad with either brass or bronze plate which cures the problem, but does transmit noise up the gear lever.

So a relatively simple repair. The only questionable part would be whether there is damage to the synchro hubs or the synchro teeth on the gears. If they have been knocked about by continuous poor synchro, then replacing hubs and or gears can mount up cost quite quickly.

Generally speaking, I have most parts in stock as new parts and a small selection of good used parts.

We should be able to do a competitive cost repair if you should wish.

David

Agents for:
Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Eibach suspension
Hybrid front mount intercooler kits
AP Racing brakes and clutches
And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com

01926 614333
Old 05 June 2009, 07:26 AM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info all, so guess no idea what cost might be till crack open the lid...will have to think about this one as have other options.
Old 05 June 2009, 12:33 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Thanks for the info all, so guess no idea what cost might be till crack open the lid...will have to think about this one as have other options.
Well, the modded synchro cones are £27.00 odd each. Labour here is £360.00 to strip and rebuild. No gaskets on a 6 speeder just a few seals And then whatever collateral damage.

Recent similar jobs have topped out at £800.00 and £916.00 for similar work to yours......

All plus VAT of course.

Good Luck David
Old 08 June 2009, 10:20 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Well, the modded synchro cones are £27.00 odd each. Labour here is £360.00 to strip and rebuild. No gaskets on a 6 speeder just a few seals And then whatever collateral damage.

Recent similar jobs have topped out at £800.00 and £916.00 for similar work to yours......

All plus VAT of course.

Good Luck David
Thanks for the info and prices, gives me an idea of what she should come out at so can save up.
Old 09 June 2009, 07:39 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

David do you know of any fixed 35:65 split centre differentials on the market and the approximate price please ?

dunx

P.S. Mine has a tiny "crunch" into top gear now and then
Old 10 June 2009, 10:19 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by dunx
David do you know of any fixed 35:65 split centre differentials on the market and the approximate price please ?

dunx

P.S. Mine has a tiny "crunch" into top gear now and then
Sorry, we talking 5 speed or 6 speed?

And what has the 35/ 65 to do with the crunch ?

The two are not connected, well actually they are, but not for the fault.

David
Old 10 June 2009, 11:00 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

six speed, was wondering if it was affordable to do a centre diff swap whilst the gearbox were in bits.... well within my currently battered budget !

dunx
Old 10 June 2009, 11:01 AM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Hey all,

Try here for a cost effective solution, Ignition Motorsport Home Page
Old 11 June 2009, 01:31 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by dunx
six speed, was wondering if it was affordable to do a centre diff swap whilst the gearbox were in bits.... well within my currently battered budget !

dunx
Dunx, Finding one will be the first problem. The 35 / 65 6 speeder is only on the 6 speed JDM boxes from 03 to 05 The 06 on car has a 49 / 51 split. A whole box may be easier, just the back end almost impossible.

Prior to 03 [ bugeyes ] are 45 /55.

You'll need the whole back end of the box and as we have not done what you ask there may well be other issues that we are not aware of. I.E. drop gears and bearing sizes and shaft splines as a guess.

You'll be very much trailblazing and it may well be that some one like us can get you out of trouble should you get into it. There is also a chance it may not work.

On a battered budget I wouldn't - just in case.

David APi
Old 12 June 2009, 07:17 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

LOL at the budget, it's a late 2009 option....

Have heard of a Kazz diff (?)

dunx

P.S. Thanks for the info
Old 15 June 2009, 01:16 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Kaaz is another option but would be extra to the box set up. As it is an after market thing. You'll be buying 2 diffs effectively.

More for the budget to consider..................