Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Something has gone bang?

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2009, 10:29 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Something has gone bang?

I have a '99 UK Impreza that I seem to have no end of drive train problems with and I'm hoping someone could give me some advice?

Firstly I had a twin plate Exedy Carbon clutch fitted which worked great, but shortly after I destroyed 2nd gear with a harsh 1st to 2nd change under acceleration. I put this down to possibly being due to excessive torque shock cause by the new clutch and I wanted more power in the future so thought I'd go for a PPG gear set. Had that done and loved it, however about a year later my clutch started to slip as well as being difficult to engage gears, my rear diff also went soon after. Found a replacement diff after around 6 months and bought a new clutch and flywheel, had them fitted recently, but about 2 days later was accelerating in 1st when there was a loud band and I lost drive completely in all gears, clutch feels normal, but there is a clanking grinding noise if I attempt to drive it anywhere and no visible sign of movement from any of the shafts.

So 1st question is, on the twin plate clutch the intermediate plate is stuck solid to the flywheel dowels that the clutch cover bolts to. It’s as if it’s got too hot and expanded jamming it up, effectively making it only work on one carbon disc and also not fully disengaging. Does this happen a lot on these types of clutches?

2nd set of questions are, what exactly is put into the box when you get a PPG gear set? Is it just the gears themselves or do you get the shafts and syncrhos included?

Next what do people think the bang and loss of drive was? Input shaft shearing, or possible defect in new clutch and that has gone somehow, or something else that might cause a total loss of drive? I thought maybe the front diff or viscous coupling at first, but then thought that there should still be drive from either the front or back wheels?

Lastly if it is something with the gearbox would it be wise to get full STi running gear, box, diffs etc and swap in the PPG kit if it’s not damaged? Are the STi diffs and other parts which are in the casing that are not included in a PPG kit any stronger than in a UK box?

Sorry for the essay and all the questions, but I've only managed to have the car on the road for about 3 weeks in the last 1 and a half years and it’s costing me a fortune. I really want to get this car into the Scooby Sprint series next year, but have a mountain of things to do first.

Thanks for reading advice greatly appreciated.

Shane.
Old 26 May 2009, 07:47 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone??
Old 26 May 2009, 11:43 AM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get in touch with David @ API Engines - im sure he will answer all your questions.

Mick