Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

noise from......gearbox......???

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2009, 08:14 PM
nitrosgti-r
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise from......gearbox......???

hi all. im new to the scooby but i have a 98 wagon ppp and it just gone past 100k miles. Its a uk car.

The problem i have is that i have a strange sort of wurring/wineing noise comming from under the car. Im thinking gearbox or maybe thrust bearing as the clutch is relatively new having been sorted by the previous owner. I can hear the noise if i put my foot down in all gears but goes when i put the clutch in so rules out wheel bearings etc

Also, and this could be related, if i take a corner hard (ish) on part throttle i can hear a noise that almost sounds like something sliding from one end of the dash to the other but its comming from engine bulkhead area? Now please correct me if im wrong but i was thinking it could be the oil being transfered for the 4wd system under torque?? Im probably miles out but id like some advice so if you have any ideas i would be greatfull to hear them?

Thanks
Old 14 May 2009, 06:44 PM
nitrosgti-r
Scooby Newbie

Anyone?
Old 18 May 2009, 10:27 AM
nitrosgti-r
Scooby Newbie

Default ffs

ANYONE???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????
Old 18 May 2009, 11:53 AM
OBXR Rick
Scooby Newbie

does the gearbox, jump out of gear? does the gearbox whine if you keep your hand on the gear stick, mine whines but now keeps jumping out of 4th, think its the sink
Old 18 May 2009, 08:01 PM
nitrosgti-r
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by OBXR Rick
does the gearbox, jump out of gear? does the gearbox whine if you keep your hand on the gear stick, mine whines but now keeps jumping out of 4th, think its the sink
Hi mate, thanks for your reply

Yes it does whine if i put pressure on the gear stick in the direction of the gear its in but it doesnt jump out of gear...... yet.

Im thinking its either the thrust bearing rattleing inside the bell housing, but surly if it was the thrust bearing it would make noise when depressing the clutch, which it doesnt??

Or, its the final drive cog or bearings in there somewhere?

I tow my nissan pulsar track day car and my caravan about so im thinking its stressed something out somewhere but where i dont know?
Old 19 May 2009, 10:53 AM
Coc-ker
Scooby Regular

Thrust bearing usually rattles when the clutch isn't depressed, the pressure is on it when you operate the clutch. Mine did it after I changed the clutch, really loud at first, but has almost stopped. Took box off to see if it wasn't seated right, but it was.
Old 20 May 2009, 08:05 PM
nitrosgti-r
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Coc-ker
Thrust bearing usually rattles when the clutch isn't depressed, the pressure is on it when you operate the clutch. Mine did it after I changed the clutch, really loud at first, but has almost stopped. Took box off to see if it wasn't seated right, but it was.
Hi mate and thanks for the reply.

Yes you have a very valid point and i think you might be right on the thrust bearing. But did your rattle develop over time and then go away or was it there straight after you changed the clutch? I ask this because the guy who had the car before me had the clutch changed around a year ago and it has only just started rattling. Im going to change the the gear oil when i have some funds as i checked the oil when it was warm and it was bubbling up so im thinking the oil in there is not good as i put some of that slick 50 gear treatment in there back along and i dont think its liked it too much.

Deffo a good shout on the bloody rattle tho and i will bear this in mind and hope it goes away soon. Does it almost sound like a raspy exhaust tone when you floor it just out of interest, its very hard to describe noises i find.......

Cheers
Old 10 June 2009, 07:01 AM
davemoo1
Scooby Newbie

hi all, they are all pasabilatys however dont forget that when you put the clutch in you all so cut drive to the gearbox, if your oil is bubbling the whiyne is 1 ov 2 things is your oil leval low are the kogs are cousing way too much friction. ps if the gearbox at some time as been changed and does not mach the rear diff this will couse the whiyne is the car judering when hot are cold m8

Last edited by davemoo1; 10 June 2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10 June 2009, 07:19 PM
Imran21
Scooby Regular

I reckon it would be the actual bearings in the box itself - probably the output shaft bearings. I have the same problem with mine and have been told thus by many on here.