Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

A4 quattro gear box question...

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2009, 01:13 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face A4 quattro gear box question...

i know its not an impreza....but some answers will be very much appreciated..

i was driving along, in the car, all of a sudden (the car was in gear), then i heard a crunching sound, and the car lost all transmission, engine was on, but no forward momentum..!...the car starts, i have clutch feel...but when i release the clutch, in gear, it does not move..!...it makes a slight (ever so light) whiring noise in 3rd, 4th and 5th, but no sound in 1st 2nd, and reverse...?this is when i release the clutch..!

i take it that the gears or the synchro has blown?

P reg audi A4 quattro is the car...

thanks
Old 11 May 2009, 01:55 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

forgot to note/mention, the car has popped out of gear a couple of times...when launching in first..!
Old 11 May 2009, 02:30 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

have you had any slipping etc of the clutch before?
Does sound like its not selecting, when you say driving along what speeds gear etc would you say?
Was it a spirited journey before the problem?
was you getting any noises if you lifted off (before the failure)
Old 11 May 2009, 05:58 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Red face

hi

no, the car was not slipping before, the car was in 3rd gear at the time, just normal city driving mode, it was not hammered before hand either, wierd thing is, nothing....!there was no strange noises, no crunching, no effort to slot into gear...nothing...driving along, then an audible crunch, not even when the gear was changed...the car was just driving along...car did not lose engine power..did not stall...just no transmission..!...

the garage have said that the car goes into gear...1st 2nd and reverse, clutch in, you hear nothing..slot it into 3rd, 4th and 5th and you can here a slight whirring/whining..! when you try to lift the clutch off to set off..!..its totally baffled me...will not know until they take the exhaust off, and get to see the clutch, and the gear box...!could be a number of things..

gear links, friction plate failure, clutch shot, synchro on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th...or a completely goosed gearbox..!(Gulp)...

like i said, they will not know until they see the innards...! car only has 76000 on the clock, i will be shocked to hell if its the gear box...!