Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Removing recirculating pipe from standard BOV

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2002, 08:04 AM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone tried removing the recirculating pipe from the standard BOV to mimic the overfuelling behaviour (due to MAF) of VTA BOV's?

Just wanted to have a bit of fun tonight to check if it will spit flames etc. Obviously one has to cover the loose pipe because when on boost, the engine will suck unfiltered and non-measured air through it.
Old 02 March 2002, 08:23 AM
duczz
Scooby Regular

yeah I tried this before I had a link in my car and had to change it back due to the idling problems associated with doing it. However there is a way around this which I read on autospeeds website.
Old 02 March 2002, 08:35 AM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Did you seal the loose pipe?

I assume that your idling problems must have been caused by the MAF sensor under-reading. If you haven't sealed the loose pipe it must be pretty dangerous as you are running lean.
Old 03 March 2002, 07:27 AM
duczz
Scooby Regular

Yes I had sealed the pipe but it still stuffed up my idle ... with a link the Air Flow Meter become redundant so its no longer a problem
Old 03 March 2002, 06:43 PM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Question

Question to all Scoobynet experts:

Having removed and sealed the recirculating pipe, I can confirm that idling is unstable which leads me to believe that incoming air is not measured correctly. This can only be if the standard BOV is partially open on idle.

Is the standard BOV set to open even at the smallish pressure differential created by an idling engine?
Old 03 March 2002, 06:49 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Wink

hi dmel, it is a known fact that diaphram dump valves dont work too well with air flow meters, and cause bad idling and running.
the only straightforward method of having an atmospheric dump valve is to buy a piston type such as bailey or forge etc.
i have previously had a bailey piston dump valve fitted, and had no problems, idle was perfect and it ran fine.

cheers

ian
Old 04 March 2002, 02:28 AM
duczz
Scooby Regular

Talking

yes indeed the factory blow off valve is partially open on idle I read somewhere that this was so that the turbo dosent have to pump against a shut butterfly in the throttle body the air can circulate around the system through the blow off valve. How correct this theory is im not sure but an aftermarket blow off valve which is shut on idle or an after market ECU which eliminates the Air Flow Meter cures the problem now you have a excuse to go and buy a new ECU