Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Changing the gearbox /diff oils, info on oil required!

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2009, 09:04 AM
Combat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the gearbox /diff oils, info on oil required!

I'm just coming up to do the drivetrain lubes on the Impreza (MY97 UK Turbo),
I've been told the gearbox/front diff uses a 75w-90 semi synth gear oil and the rear diff uses a regular 80w-90 gear oil.

I was also told the capacity is 2.5 litres for the rear, and 4.5 litres for the front, can someone confirm if that's right?

I've already bought the rear diff oil, I've gone for 'Castrol Differential EPX 80w-90', but I'm still at a loss for the front diff/gearbox oil.

Also, while I think I know the grade for the front end, there seem to be different types, some stating not for use in syncro boxes, that kind of thing.

I've heard Millers does good stuff and found this:

Millers Oils TRX 75/90 semi synthetic gear box oil 5lt on eBay, also Engine Tuning Parts, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 18-May-09 17:49:03 BST)

The only thing is it's listed as a semi synth, but described as fully synth in the description, could someone confirm what it is, and if it's suitable for my car even if it's a full synth? or does the gearbox very specifically need a semi synth for some reason?

I also found some Lucas branded 75w-90 (Lucas USA, nothing to do with the Prince of Darkness that is Joe Lucas!) and also some Redline 75w-90.

So far though, I think I'd rather go for the Millers as it seems a good price and people always seem to sing the praises of Millers stuff.

Many thanks.
Old 07 May 2009, 11:41 AM
Combat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right then, I just happened to ask the Local Subaru dealer (Holdcroft Subaru) if they stocked the gearbox oil for my car, they do but only in huge drums! To my surprise though they were happy to sell me some if I could supply some clean containers, win!

It's what Subaru would use for a service and it only cost me £23 inc. VAT for 4.5 litres complete with a Subaru invoice for the service file, now very happy! The red beastie's on the drive draining as I type and the sun's shining (now and then!).

Next job, cambelt, and then when all the mechanical stuff's out of the way I'm going to get busy with the clay and make it look all super spangly for the Summer