Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Downpipe troubles, advice please

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2002, 09:57 PM
KGB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put my MY93 WRX into garage today to have Magnex decat d/pipe fitted, recieved a phonecall soon after from garage to say that they were having big hassles getting it to fit properly. Problems are lower sensor (temp???) would thread in and nut tighten but sensor probe still loose inside pipe (new sensor). Problem 2 is that when fitted pipe sits very close to gearbox crossmember (approx 2mm off aparently) and doesn't line up to the centre pipe (also Magnex) Anyone else had these hassles?? How do i sort it out??

Thanks
Old 01 March 2002, 11:52 PM
djd
Scooby Regular

Stick the sensor in with exhaust putty, mine seems to work fine. My personal mechanic(Mr 'S')assures me you don't need the sensor anyway.
Old 02 March 2002, 06:53 AM
duczz
Scooby Regular

yeah you dont need any sensors in your front pipe anyway, mine is running a 3inch downpipe and I the sensor is still in the original exhaust system buried somewhere in the shed .... good luck!
Old 02 March 2002, 09:19 AM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

KGB,

Oh no mate you have the same prob as me,i fitted my magnex a couple of months ago and it pulled the whole system about two inches over to the ns of the transmission tunnel the dp was rubbing on the gearbox crossmenber and making the rest of the zorst knock under the car,the top gearbox bracket would not fit either as it had been welded at the wrong angle.

Magnex picked it up and checked it in the jig and said it was fine But what they now say is that in
Imprezas the position of the turbo can vary due to slack tolerances which then knocks the position
of the downpipe out.

This sounds like bollox to me as my original fits perfect,this below is what i sent to the supplier.

Thanks for getting on to them.

My only concern is that they told me the same as you and when i put the original downpipe back on it fits perfect,flush with the turbo and running exactly down the center of the transmission tunnel with all the mounting brackets sat in the correct places at the right angles, where as the magnex fitted flush to the turbo but ran up against one side of the tunnel touching mounting brackets and making all the exhaust knock on the underside of the car,,therefore the tolerance of the turbo mounting must be spot on as the original in fine.If my turbo was mounted at a strange angle then surely the original would not be such a good fit.The profile of the magnex was not the same as the subaru pipe.They told me i must fit the gearbox bracket which simply would not fit as the angles were well out on it,i followed their instructing fitting the bracket before slipping the flange over the turbo,doing this was almost impossible,the turbo flange and the turbo were not parallel,one side was touching and the other had a gap of 7-10 mm so there was no way i was going to tighten that up and crack the cast housing,this also pulled the whole system forward resulting in the tailpipe sitting up and behind the rear bumper and the exhaust hanging at least 2 inches lower under the car at the downpipe end.

Any body else had problems with other pipes as i've only heard of this problem with the magnex and plently of them.

Magnex returned my pipe after 3 WEEKS and seem to have just altered a loose mounting bracket so if i have time i will refit today and see what the difference is.

Good luck mate,ring them up and speak to dennis or adrian and they'll probably tell you they dont have a problem with them.
Old 02 March 2002, 09:35 AM
duczz
Scooby Regular

Hrmm interesting read it seems that Magnex need to concentrate on their tolerances!! ... yeah be careful of putting undue strain on the back of that turbo Ive heard some expensive storys along those lines ... Hope you guys get it all fitting like it should soon.
Old 02 March 2002, 10:07 AM
KGB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Thanks for the comments

Paul W, sorry to hear you have had these hassles too, though i was kinda worried it was a problem with my car. I too have very little chance of getting gearbox mount to fit short of cutting it off and welding it back in the right place (not something i want to do).

I'll try phoning them and see what they say, but don't think its gonna do much good.

If i can get a refund are there any d/pipes which are gonna fit properly if the Magnex wouldn't??? GGR, Scoobysport, HKS???

Thanks again for your comments, will let u know how i get on.
Old 10 March 2002, 09:35 AM
KGB
Scooby Regular

Talking

After a hectic week at work i've finally got time to let u know how i got on with the poor fitting downpipe.
The company who supplied the Magnex very kindly agreed to refund me in full on return of the downpipe due to being out of stock of their own version and my car being off the road because of this. I then ordered the legendary Scoobysport version which fits perfectly.(should of got one in first place)
Got the car back on Thursday but have'nt had time to try car properly yet, though it sounds great!
Old 10 March 2002, 11:10 AM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

I've only fitted 2 magnex downpipes. One only Yesterday. On both occasions the customer supplied the system as it was slightly cheaper than the one we sell.

Both had the very same problems. Sitting right on the gearbox and then not fitting flush with the centre pipe which when tightened pulled the whole exhaust over about 2 inches and caused it to knock. Very difficult fir. We explained to the customer and then welded a new gearbox bracket. This only partially fixed the problem as the gasket to the turbo then was uneven. We just pulled it into place with the turbo bolts and advised the customer.

Very unsatisfactory fit! :-( Turns out it cost him more in the end due to the length of time it took to fit :-)

Paul.
Old 10 March 2002, 11:33 AM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Red face

looking for a down pipe and was considering the magnex,think i will go for the scoobysport one eh!

cheers guys