Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Auto/Tip/Sport Shift info.

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2009, 04:17 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto/Tip/Sport Shift info.

Hi guys, I am brand new to the site, but this my third Impreza and I'm passionate about them I have a general query, having never had an Auto/Tip/Sport Shift box before (forgive my ignorance !!). My car is a '02/03 (last of the Bug Eyes) WRX NB-R - which I'm led to believe was a limited run in Japan and a few came over here ???? I have a more involved problem which I will post later............my first question is : There is a small black button in the very top left corner of the gearbox fascia, accross from the usual P R N D 321 markings and above the - and + "Tiptronic Symbols" Does anyone Kknow what this is for - I have told it's to reduce the revs when driving in Snow/Ice but I thought that the "SnowHold" switch was for that................thanks.
Old 25 March 2009, 02:32 PM
LeviRoots
Scooby Regular

Location: In the kitchen, mixin up some Reggae Reggae Sauce!!!!

Any chance on some more info on your car?

I haven't found anything newer than a classic with a turbo in this country!

I was thinking about importing but the £ is worth bugger all at the moment!!
Old 25 March 2009, 07:30 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

What you needing to know mate ???
Old 25 March 2009, 08:37 PM
LeviRoots
Scooby Regular

Specs/pics/price would be great!
Old 26 March 2009, 01:48 AM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LeviRoots
Any chance on some more info on your car?

I haven't found anything newer than a classic with a turbo in this country!

I was thinking about importing but the £ is worth bugger all at the moment!!
Hi - I am bit confused with your post - do you mean that you cannot find an Automatic Turbo in Newage style ??? when I was looking all I could find were classic wagons with Auto Trans never a saloon I saw one Newage Wagon on ebay but it had a stuffed gear.....I looked on and off for 2 years.....then I found mine.
Old 26 March 2009, 12:13 PM
LeviRoots
Scooby Regular

The only auto turbos I've seen have been classics. I don't really like the look off wagons.

I could import an auto new age turbo but the costs out weigh the benefits at the moment
Old 26 March 2009, 02:31 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

It took ages for me to find mine - look out for WRX NB-R when looking as thats what I've got, came with the option of Manual and Auto - the Auto box has 3 modes though, full auto, semi auto and steering wheel tiptronic. I'm told it was a special edition in late 2002 to celebrate WRC victories, released in japan and a few came here. Came with bigger wheels, bigger brakes, Xenon headlights (in STi Smoked front lights) grey/black interior, Sti suspension, central rev counter- which has the gear you are in dislplayed in red ala WRC cars and the rear wing is on a base which raises it up from the normal WRX rear spoiler (about 4-5 inches), similar to aftermarket "risers" but this has a proper base - looks like the lovechild of a std WRX spoiler and the high Sti one !! brake light incorporated in the usual place. Though mine now has gold Sti wheels and a 2003 Sti blue interior, only mods are new badges in pink/chrome, blue flaps, Firestorm rear box, front strubrace, Turbosmart dual port BOV and black lexus rear lights. Got a print from rolling road at interpro for 248bhp at 5,875 and 256 torques ft/lb. Not sure if the car has any Sti internal engine parts, theres no red top manifold and the cooler looks standard WRX size. Thats about it, I googled an NB-R the other day and a black one came up for sale but can't remeber where in the world it was, think they came in Blk, Blue, Silver and White.
Old 26 March 2009, 02:34 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

P.S there is a nice STi A-Line (Automatic) just been released in Japan, upwards of 27k though, I'd love one of those !!
Old 26 March 2009, 08:00 PM
RobsWRX
Scooby Newbie

Hi Mate,

I know there was a Automatic Bugeye released called the 20K which was to celebrate the 25th Tokyo Autosalon. Very nice car - basically an automatic STI. I'm on my second Auto Classic and they are great fun! Holds boost through gear change so with a few mods you can out accelerate many other manual scoobs! Anyway the small black button is to release the shifter if the car is not running - good for putting in neutral when working on brakes etc.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 26 March 2009, 09:43 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Hi Rob - thanks for that, the gearing is definetly very good, they do accelerate well !! I think I saw a 20k on e-bay last year, looked very nice - was it a wagon ? can't remeber.........thenks for the info by the way, iI've been pondering what its for (black button) previuosyl I was told it's for driving in icy weather and it retards the revs, but thought that was the Snow Hold switch's job ! the only reference (picture) I saw for it was in the Japanese manual that came with the car !! thanks...Simon.