Another looking for Gearbox advice :D

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2009, 12:45 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another looking for Gearbox advice :D

Hey guys

Got an imported 95/96 type ra v-ltd v2 and need to upgrade the gearbox etc since i'm looking to make more power than i'm told my current box can cope with. Seems i have quite a few choices though and tbh i'm really not too sure which is best! Essentially i need something that's gonna cope with a good kicking from time to time on trackdays etc (might aswell be honest about it eh? lol!), not strip cog-teeth when i floor it and ideally i want to retain the dccd.

From what i can work out, my main options are either a 6speed setup off a later gen or, something like a ppg gearset in my existing box but presumably i'd still need to uprate the diffs if i went with this? Think the 6speed is my current preferred route since it seems likely to work out cheaper than the ppg route (what? there's a recession on ya know ) but also the extra gear has appeal too.

Things i'm wondering about the 6speed are ....

1) How much power can they cope with
2) Can they stand a kicking
3) I expect to need the diffs aswell but will i need shafts & ecu etc or will my existing ones be ok
4) Is there an ideal / preferred box of the many that seem to be around
5) I know this ones got massive amounts of variants in it (including the "what are you willing to pay for it" option) but what sort of money should i expect to be paying for what i need? - need to start saving the pennies but would prefer to avoid having my pants pulled down for it!!!