Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutches and Fly's.....

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2009, 02:26 PM
Hoody2769
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutches and Fly's.....

The clutch in my '02 Bug Eye STi (6spd), running a standard ish 300bhp, is on the way out and is slipping when boost comes in at ~4Krpm..... so I'm about to do the honourable thing and replace the clutch the fly at the same time.
A decision has been made with regards to the clutch; an Exedy uprated organic one from a reputable company (hours looking at existing threads on SN has taught me to spend my money wisely!).
However, the subject of fly wheels hasn't been covered extensively?

- Assuming my existing fly was ok and I was on a budget, I'd just get it skimmed and balanced before mating it with a new clutch.

- The slightly more expensive option is to get an OE fly machined to the desired weight and then balanced. However, being that they were designed at a specific weight and strength, given the nature of the material they have been made with, will reducing the mass from a standard 12Kg fly to ~7Kg have an adverse effect on it's inherent strength and durability??

- The final (and most expensive option) is to get a purpose built billet fly, designed at the above weight...if not less. There has been talk of some of these not having hardened teeth and thus rendered useless very quickly. (What companies have/have not got hardened teeth/) There are also fly's of a two part construction, which offer the ability to either change the ring or friction plate should one wear before the other.

So my real question is:
Could someone with real knowledge of these subjects give some advice on the above points with regards to the following:

1: Viability of each option
2: Cost

Thanks

Will
Old 10 January 2009, 11:31 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two part flywheels are probably to save weight, ally and steel....
A pukka item will be strong enough and better than a weakened std item IMHO

HTH

dunx