Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Why won't my ECU talk to the select monitor?

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2002, 02:06 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I've had my car for two years now and in that time its been serviced at Subaru Manchester. However the ECU has never comunicated with the select monitor (a problem they said they hadn't encountered before). This hasa never really worried me before cause the engine has been fine all this time but..... im thinkin' of getting a Dawes Device but would like to set it up properly with the aid of a select monitor.

Does anybody know why this would be the case? If a new ECU would cure the problem? Or wud it be a simply a case of dodgy connection somewhere in the car??? Im cinfused so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony
MY93 WRX
Old 19 February 2002, 03:25 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

How does the car go? Sounds to me like you don't have a Subaru ecu inside your car...have you checked?

If it is, then either faulty cabling to the connector or the 93 imports are different somehow?

Richard
Old 19 February 2002, 10:45 PM
Dave Brown
Scooby Regular

Your 93 WRX should communicate with the select monitor,only works using the 97MY Impreza cartridge in the handset.If it doesnt then it must have an aftermarket ECU.

Only had 1 car that would not communicate & traced the fault to several damaged wires in the loom that runs along the O/S inner wing (removed splash guard).Car had been previously accident damaged & bodyshop hadnt noticed the wiring damage.

Hope this helps.

Dave B
Old 20 February 2002, 10:41 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Just checked the ECU and found a sticker on it sayin':

22611 AB530
B18-610611
2Y320
Japan Electronic Control Systems Co. Ltd.
Made in Japan

Does this mean its the original Jecs ECU then . It did have some other Japanese writin' on it tho, in blue marker pen.

The car doesn't seem to go substantially quicker than the other Subaru's i've been in. Boost is around 11-12 Psi on my gauge, 30 - 70 mph times (thru the gears) is about 4.8 secs on average (with induction kit and full decat exhaust) using a naff stop watch so it wont be too accurate anyway. I did notice that using the conections under the steering column to reset the ECU didn't really work (infact it appeared to make it worse ), i had to disconnect the battery to do it properly.

Hmmm, im still confused .

Anymore suggestions, comments?

Tony.
Old 20 February 2002, 12:55 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Looks like a Subaru ECU (a standard my00 Euro car has "22611 AE782" on the (green) label. Try and get a photo of the writing - someone here may speak Japanese!?

Maybe take the cover off too, & make sure there's no daughter boards added.

Then you need an ecu pinout diagram for your car - it'll show where the connectors are wired to and you can check continuity (or trace the wires back to the ecu - yuck!).

Good Luck
Richard
Old 20 February 2002, 01:16 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Easiest thing is to open the ECU case (four screws) and look at the circuit board inside:

The chip on the front right is not original - you should have an empty space.

You can also check the jumper (J1) - if it is cut, the ECU is using the additional chip:

More info Here

Thanks

Gavin

[Edited by GavinP - 2/20/2002 1:20:15 PM]
Old 20 February 2002, 02:22 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys,

So far i've only looked at the outside of the ECU, ill take the cover off tommorrow and have a look.

Tony.
Old 20 February 2002, 03:29 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony,

Like Dave says, the Select Monitor program catridges do not all do all model years. Ask your garage whether they ever got their select monitor talking to any car which is your model year / model of car. If they haven't, try a garage. Most authorised dealers should have all cartridge versions.

Cheers

Steve
Old 20 February 2002, 04:51 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve,

I take my car to Subaru Manchester and im positive they have done other cars of my age/type. Im gonna take it back soon for them to have a look, i've got every confidence in them so no worries there. Pete did say he had a spare ECU to try, so that will tell us if the wirin' is a bit dodgy.

In the mean time im gonna have a look under the cover and see what (if nethin) is lurkin' there that shouldn't be .

Cheers,

Tony.
Old 20 February 2002, 05:09 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony,

That won't prove your wiring, but it will prove your ECU PCB/program. You can prove _your_ wiring by putting your ecu in another car - if it works, it was your wiring at fault.

Even if your ECU has been chipped, it's extrememly unlikely that they've modified the code. They just change the maps (data) generally. So a 'chip' shouldn't prevent the diags from working.

Let us know !

Steve
Old 20 February 2002, 06:02 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Will do Steve.

Tony.
Old 20 February 2002, 08:08 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony,

First thing to check if the Monitor will not fire up is the brown ignition relay located above the fusebox inside the car.This relay is the main power supply for most of the car.
Symptoms of its failure are mutiple codes in the memory and failure of the Monitor to fire up.When they get really bad it will actually erease the codes from the memory.
IIRC they cost about 35quid from Subaru dealers.
Also check the yellow plug for the monitor under the dash has no broken wiring although I have only seen this with the later OBD style plugs.

Hope that helps

Steve
Old 21 February 2002, 12:13 AM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Tony,

When the garage said that they couldn't get the select monitor working, did they mean it wouldn't talk, or would even power up ?
Like Steve says, that'll give you another clue, since the select monitor draws its power from the car.

Steve
Old 21 February 2002, 11:03 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help so far guys.

As far as i can remember the select monitor would power up and you could delete fault codes/reset the ECU but it would not communicate fully. i.e the boost pressure, temps etc (all the fancy stuff). Forgive my ignorance as im not entirely sure what the select monitor is capable of doing .

I think i've found why this mornin, have a look at these:

What do you think? I take it it's not standard. The daughter board does have JECS writen on it tho, im definately still confused . The performance doesn't seem to be above standard (standard 15.5 PSi fuel cut still in place etc.)

Hmmmmm.

Tony.
Old 21 February 2002, 11:13 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Over to the Steve's - I've never seen one like that, but it looks a professional (OE) installation.

Richard
Old 21 February 2002, 11:19 AM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Blimey,

That's a chip-and-a-half - they don't normally mass produce the EPROM labels in felt tip ! What's the chip number on IC600 ? That looks like another processor. Very interesting that it actually a JECS board, since they make the original ECU.

I think I'll phone a friend...

Steve
Old 21 February 2002, 11:38 AM
Muncher
Scooby Regular

Just for reference this is what my 95 WRX (GC8C48D) ECU looks like in the flesh.....

Old 21 February 2002, 02:01 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Don't know the number on the IC600, ill have a look 2moro if it will help. Hmmm, maybe i should put it on a rolling road and see what power its getting. The fact that its a JECS board is confusing, it does look like its been installed well. Not a botch job neway.

Anybody with suggests etc. keep 'em comin'.

Cheers,

Tony.
Old 21 February 2002, 03:03 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

>I think I'll phone a friend...
>
Cheers Dave !

Steve
Old 21 February 2002, 03:52 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Tone Luc, if this is any help, the label on your ECU has a Japanese (Chinese) character next to the "52R 3" that means experimental or trial or test. So it may not be the final version.
Old 21 February 2002, 04:30 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that David, pity your so bloody far away or i would have popped down to see you.

I did have plans for a Link ECU, but i don't know how this would affect it now. Will i need a standard ECU or could this be brought back to standard spec or can it be left in and remapped itself (David?) ???? Or i had thought about Apex'i Boost and fuel controllers. Anybody got any suggestions?

Also why would this be here if the car appears to perform like a standard WRX, thats the bit thats confusing me. It certainly doesn't reach silly boost levels (maybe its faster than i think).

Tony (still confused ).

Old 21 February 2002, 04:33 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm, just read lokokkee's post (missed it on page 2, doh!). A test ECU, fantastic. So it could be pretty rough and ready. Just my luck.

Eeeeeeee,

Tony.
Old 21 February 2002, 05:28 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony,

The main processors on those boards have to be 'mask programmed', which takes a long time for the chip manufacturer to set up. Subaru probably hit some deadline and decided to ship some cars with EPROMs just to get the cars out on time.

Your car probably is running pretty standard maps, but on early software by the looks of this now. It could probably be returned to standard with the fitting of an external ROM with the standard code and data. That's assuming the rest of the board is normal (very likely).

In my opinion, Mervyn Carroll at PE is the man for this if you wanted it done.

Cheers

Steve
Old 21 February 2002, 06:09 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers Steve,

Think i mite have a look around at what sort of price standard WRX ECUs are goin' at. Probably a lot less hassle than tryin' to get mine sorted. Im not ready at the moment to start the engine tuning for another couple of months so no real rush just yet.

Thanks agen,

Tony.
Old 21 February 2002, 06:53 PM
alexf
Scooby Regular

Tony,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your car mate. If you're after a standard ECU try one of the following breakers:

http://www.subaruspareparts.co.uk/
http://www.pro-parts.com/
http://www.central-subaru.co.uk/

Hope this helps,

Alex
Old 21 February 2002, 07:14 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Cheers Alex,

I'll have a look around, Subaru Manchester did say they had a spare. Im not worried tho, i've had the car for two years without problems so it doesn't worry me. Just woundered what it was.

C u soon m8,

Tony.
Old 21 February 2002, 08:41 PM
FOZ STiV5
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

Try townsend garage Lancs..... ecu prices are £100. They are very friendly and have great prices e.g OEM Oil Filters £4.95 and NGK7 plugs £35 per set.

Tel. 01524733837

By the way ... I had my STiV at CK a couple of days ago...... and they had problems reading my standard ECU..... worked eventually but did come up with communication errors.