Gearbox died today!! Tech Advice Required please

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2008, 05:10 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gearbox died today!! Tech Advice Required please

Hi all, today my gearbox has gone bang

It wasnt really to my suprise just rather gutted its gone this close to X-mas, it is a standard WRX gearbox from an 02 running just over 400BHP. I was planning to change it all next year when i had chance to save but now it looks like im going to have to find the cash somewhere to get it sorted after xmas.

So, what i really need to know is the following please:

1/ What gear boxes would be suitable for the engine and power im running? (heard about 6 speed JDM box or maybe an RA gearbox? RA would be better for acceleration but limited if im not mistaken??)

2/ What will my gearbox code be and what codes will i be looking for?

3/ I assume i will have to change prop and rear diff to match new box?

4/ What is DCCD, what are the pro's / con's of it and will it fit to my car?? (Wiring looms etc??)

5/ How easy is the gearbox change? (im pretty competant with the old spanners etc and have a couple of mechanical minded mates so would hope to save some money here)

6/ Should i change the clutch when its out? (Fitted api organic clutch when engine was built earlier this year - done about 6K)

Any other useful advide would be much appreciated at this time please.

Many thanks all!!
Old 15 December 2008, 06:00 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

RA very close Ratio like you,ve mentioned, 6 speed is an option + diff too, it depends on your budget i guess as there also is the PPG too,but that,s near on 3k from memory..
Old 15 December 2008, 06:56 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Dont think i could cope with the whining from a PPG as theyr straight cut rnt they and whine like crazy, i have enough of that with the missus!

Theres 3 6 speed none DCCD boxes on here at the moment for between £1K and £1.7K, not sure what the difference is with DCCD though and need to understand a little more about boxes before i take the plunge, kinda need to know what im letting yself in for too... lol.

Thanks for the advice tho pal
Old 15 December 2008, 06:58 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Give David @ API a call, he,s the transmission man...
Old 15 December 2008, 07:00 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

The one you've looked at in the for sale section from DJ_Jon will fit. To be certain, second the above suggestion about contacting David at API.
Old 15 December 2008, 07:04 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Buy my JDM 6 speed box

seriously though, only a PPG or a 6 speed will handle that sort of power.

There is a website that has all the gearbox codes, ahh, this is it

DCCD - Driver Controlled Centre Differential - lets you control the torque split of the centre diff. Improves the driving experience from what I've read, not driven a car with DCCD to be able to compare. do a search on here for more info.

Can't tell you how hard it is to change the box & diff, but I do know it will be a lot easier with a ramp & some air tools

I've got the API exedy clutch & flywheel, not running 400 brake, but I've had no problems so far at 350 lbft of torque & 325 bhp on a 2.5

hope that helps, if not, speak to API or Dazdavis was very helpful on here
Old 15 December 2008, 07:45 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Yeah, though there wasnt many other boxes to bother with.

How much will the RA handle power wise?

Is it worth bothering with DCCD then, cos by the reaserch im doing currently it sounds like you have to install a new wiring loom to feed the contril unit? My mate had a '96 RA a couple of years ago and that had a small switch by the handbrake which controlled the power to front and rear, was this DCCD??

Not going to bother with PPG i dont think, as like i say above i dont think i could handle the whining. IM hoping to do some track days and sprints later 2009 but dont think this will be worth going down the PPG route, and money wise i think its guna be a no-no

Seriously though Jon, i think we may need to have a little chat about your box, (<<< Que all sarcastic comments, lol) but am pretty sure im not going to be able to do anything until after Xmas mate.

Old 15 December 2008, 07:49 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

The RA box won't take a lot, it's the torque you need to worry about not BHP.

I'm on my 3rd box in my ra. The first and second one broke when running just short of 1.4 bar, not sure on the power output as I never had it on the RR.

I now run 1.2 bar and around 300 pounds of torque and so far so good.

6 speed is the way to go for your sort of power.
Old 15 December 2008, 07:55 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Clutch should be fine at 6k - just check the flywheel is ok.

I changed my box in about 7 hours on my own using a ramp - if you don't have ramp don't bother.
Old 15 December 2008, 08:39 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Originally Posted by h4rry
Yeah, though there wasnt many other boxes to bother with.

How much will the RA handle power wise?

Is it worth bothering with DCCD then, cos by the reaserch im doing currently it sounds like you have to install a new wiring loom to feed the contril unit? My mate had a '96 RA a couple of years ago and that had a small switch by the handbrake which controlled the power to front and rear, was this DCCD??

Not going to bother with PPG i dont think, as like i say above i dont think i could handle the whining. IM hoping to do some track days and sprints later 2009 but dont think this will be worth going down the PPG route, and money wise i think its guna be a no-no

Seriously though Jon, i think we may need to have a little chat about your box, (<<< Que all sarcastic comments, lol) but am pretty sure im not going to be able to do anything until after Xmas mate.

You can get Helical cut PPG boxes, that is what I'm hoping to go for, not as noisy as the straight cut, apparently.

The switch by the handbrake on an RA is the DCCD & as T5OLF says, those boxes aren't any stronger than the one in your car at the minute AFAIK, just close ratio.

Hit me up with a PM to discuss my box further.. FNARR FNARR
Old 15 December 2008, 08:43 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Okay, so the 6 Speed box it is then .......... Thanks Guys

Now, how many different versions of the 6 speed is there and which one is best? I.e. JDM, UK Sti, PPP etc etc....

So the clutch i have will fit into the new 6 speed box ok then yes?

Dont have a ramp although i may be able to borrow one for the weekend possibly. But was thinking it would be possible to do using large axle stands (Truck ones maybe) and a couple of the big jacks to do the lifting? Or am i just best leaving it to someone with ramps?

Just to put the DCCD question to bed, i assume it is not worth fitting one of these with all the hassle involved?

Thanks
Old 15 December 2008, 08:50 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

JOn, dont understand that gearbox website list, way over my head sorry, having a stap in the dark i would guess mine is :

US Impreza WRX MY02 TY754VN2AA 3.454 1.947 1.366 0.972 0.738 3.333 1.100 3.900 Viscous (4kgf) Open Rev. pop-out addressed 10/01 (main shaft, rev. idler, rev. hub)

Am i right?
Old 15 December 2008, 09:09 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That'd be my guess on the box you have now.

The 6 speed non dccd option is best for you. [ pricewise too ]

I wouldn't bother to retro fit dccd, I think it is over rated. If you have it - fine ! but don't go to the bother if fitting it especially.

The UK 6 speed box has longer gearing on 5th and 6th compared to the JDM box. It is possible to go for 7th on a JDM box [ l've done it myself when not thinking ] BUT I also find that the drop in revs on a UK box is a step too far, unless you have a 2.5 that'll pull out tree stumps.

The later Hawkeye UK boxes from the 2.5 are higher geared again and are really only suited to a 2.5, as they are that high geared [ ON 2.0 A ROAD CAR ]

David
Call me if you want to talk this through - no obligation.

PPS DJ Jons box sounds a good bet for you [ to my knowledge i've never met or spoken to him ]

Last edited by APIDavid; 15 December 2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 15 December 2008, 09:45 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Thank you very much for that dave, will try and give you a call tomorrow to discuss my options, but it doesnt look like im going to be doing anything until the new year now. Need to get a plan together though and learn what im talking about.

I do have the 2.5 block so looks like any 6 speed from a newage uk car will be best suited for my set up, correct?

I feel like im making good progress with this guys, thanks for your help on this. Still a lot to learn though!!
Old 15 December 2008, 10:29 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I have spoken to you on the Phone David, but I'm sure you speak to so many people that you would be unlikely to remember me.

thanks for the plug though.
Old 16 December 2008, 05:00 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Ok guys, i could do with a bit of a better idea for fitting one of these to get a feel if i am capab le of doing this or not. As you have already gathered i am on a tight budget as this has happened earlier than expected but if i need to leave it to a pro then i will just have to wait that bit longer.

I remember about 8-10 months ago a thread in the projects section about someone who was changing a gearbox and shown pictures of it being done on his street, so it obviously is possible but im just hearing some nasty rumours that there is issues with disconnecting the box from the engine and also transfer box?

Can anyone enlighten me at all.

Thanks guys
Old 16 December 2008, 06:50 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

My advice is to either borrow a ramp or pay someone like API to change it for you. Changing the box on the street will be a ball-ache & I'm pretty sure you will regret it.
Old 16 December 2008, 10:26 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Right - O

Wasnt literally going to do it on the street, would have it in my garage and like i say would be able to get hold of some decent jacks and stands for it all but by the sounds of it, its something i should steer clear of.

Jon, Dya wanna pm me a ball park figure your looking at for your box to give me some ideas then if you still have it after xmas, maybe we can sort something out.

Cheers pal.
Old 18 December 2008, 09:42 PM
the.wolf
Scooby Regular

is it possbilbe to change only gearbox for 6MT in classik MY99, leaving diff and othwr stuff std?
Old 18 December 2008, 10:29 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

yes, but only if you get a UK/European box. The JDM box has a different output ratio to the rear diff (1.1 drop gear for JDM, 1.1.1 for UK)
Old 19 December 2008, 12:29 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

not quite, the 6mt is longer than the 5mt and so you also need the prop, as well as the linkage.
It is possible to retain the rear diff and drive shafts though.
Old 19 December 2008, 03:38 PM
the.wolf
Scooby Regular

sorry but what is prop?

great info. im starting my search for 6MT, one more track day and my std gearbox will fail
Old 19 December 2008, 03:49 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Propshaft - joins the rear output to the rear differential
Old 19 December 2008, 09:05 PM
adzer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by h4rry
Ok guys, i could do with a bit of a better idea for fitting one of these to get a feel if i am capab le of doing this or not. As you have already gathered i am on a tight budget as this has happened earlier than expected but if i need to leave it to a pro then i will just have to wait that bit longer.

I remember about 8-10 months ago a thread in the projects section about someone who was changing a gearbox and shown pictures of it being done on his street, so it obviously is possible but im just hearing some nasty rumours that there is issues with disconnecting the box from the engine and also transfer box?

Can anyone enlighten me at all.

Thanks guys

i have had my box out 3 times now in my driveway, car up on alxe stands, i dropped the old box out, took bonnet off, placed new box under car tied rope around starter motor hole, then stood in the engine bay (with my feet placed beside induction kit & battery tray) had someone underneath to lift while i pulled the rope, where the engine and box meet there is a engine cradle/subframe once you get the box lifted high enough you can rest it on there and use a jack to support the rear of the box.

hope that makes sense, but YES it can be done in your garage with help of another person and alot of patience
Old 19 December 2008, 09:54 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bear in mind that the 6 Speed gearbox is a heavy SOB if your doing the job on your drive/street etc.