Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

HELP, LOUD KNOCKING NOISE FROM REAR

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2008, 03:24 PM
uzzy-swr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, LOUD KNOCKING NOISE FROM REAR

hi, i was just driving bak home from work today and i started to notice a knocking noise from the back wheels. it sounds like a drive shaft knocking but i've never heard one before. i jacked up the car before and noticed that on the passenger side rear driveshaft there is a rubber bit thats come loose. this is the one connecting to the diff i think. do you think this will be an easy fix or do i need a new driveshaft. someone told me that maybe i can get a new rubber and fit it back on. can anyone help. cheers
Old 26 November 2008, 10:24 PM
uzzy-swr
Scooby Regular

i just drove my car to park it outside my house. only in 1st gear as it was at the end of my street. i didnt seem to hear any knocking noise coming from the rear driveshafts but i was only drivin at about 10mph. but under the car i can see a rubber joint connected to the rear diff thats come loose. i think it is off the joint. does anyone know if it could be the driveshaft or just a simple fix. cheers
Old 26 November 2008, 11:05 PM
webster444
Scooby Regular

the rubber bit ur on about sounds like the cv boot, which is an easy fix. is there black grease all around the area where the cv has spewed its grease everywhere?
Old 26 November 2008, 11:24 PM
uzzy-swr
Scooby Regular

im not sure. i didnt get a good look at it as it was raining. i'l take a proper look tomarow morning. is there anything particular i should be looking for to make sure the driveshaft is ok. seemed fine just before when i drove in 1st gear slowly. i only feel and here the knocking sound at about 25-30 mph +. cheers

Last edited by uzzy-swr; 26 November 2008 at 11:31 PM.