Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Late STi Front Driveshafts Removal advise

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2008, 04:39 PM
bigsmiffy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Late STi Front Driveshafts Removal advise

Looking at the logistics of changing my 07 STi Clutch and getting all the bits together, most of the info I have read talk about knocking a roll pin from the front driveshaft on the gearbox end, and advise to replace said Roll pin, so I trot off to Subaru and ask for replacement pins, the guy in the parts dept said the later cars dont have any pins so how are they held in by some sort of internal snap ring? So is it a case of just leavering away the shaft from the box face? I know I have to drop the hub off oa the strut, any advise on removal of the shafts guys & anything I can damage ?

Thanks

Tom
Old 20 October 2008, 04:57 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had to do this, all i did was got a big pry bar, and put it behond the joint on the shaft, and against one of the bolts on the gearbox case...... and levered it out, i was surprised at how little effort it took, so, my advise would be, if it doesn't come off easily, turn the shaft slightly, and try again, as sometimes the snap ring needs to be in a certain position.,..... also, as the later shafts now go into the box, it is now essential to drain the oil, where-as on the earlier cars, you could tie the prop to the box, and remove the box with oil in it...... on the later ones you can't....... i have also found, that it's actually not crucial to disconnect the wishbone, in fact, i have dropped the box from my classic with the car on ramps, ie, with weight on the wheels, i remolved the cradle from the g box, and twisted it enough to get the shafts off...... however, this may not be possible with the later shafts AND the 6 speed box......

Hope that all helps...

Ron.
Old 21 October 2008, 04:33 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As Ron says. Except that you will need to drop the wishbone on the one piece driveshaft type.

David APi

Agents for:
Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Scoobysportexhausts
Eibach suspension
Hybrid front mount intercooler kits
AP Racing brakes and clutches
And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com

01926 614333