Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine bay rennovation

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2002, 12:35 PM
Hugh138
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just got a 2nd hand scoob, and despite being mechanically sound, it needs some tlc when it comes to the presentation of the engine bay. 50% of the bolts/nuts/screws are rusted and 5/6 of the metal surfaces (radiato cover, mounting plates) are also partially rusted. Now this imo is only surface rust - the dealer reckons the car was at one time kept near the sea), but not being an expert engine bay restorer or impreza guru I'm not totally sure where to start and how to achieve the best results. I've spoken to Mark Underwood and he is sending a variety of concoctions to spruce this and that up, but I'm slightly wary about hosing the engine bay down after spraying multiclean over it - I'm concerned about getting water where water shouldn't go.

I have a variety of questions:

1) what should a pristine MY98 engine bay look like? (pics please!)
2) where painted metal surfaces have rust bubbling up, should I apply hammerite products like kurust then paint over the top? Are there any non-painted surfaces in the engine bay?
3) If/when I do wash the bay down, what areas exactly should I cover up? Intercooler, battery, alarm (still not located this) - anything else? And how would I be best protecting them from water?
4) Are there any firms in the Leeds/York area that would do all this (to a high standard) for a reasonable fee?

I'm sure I will think of more questions, but this is enough to be going on with in the meantime.

Tahnks in advance,

Hugh
Old 11 February 2002, 07:27 PM
Hugh138
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone?

Hugh