Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Grinding sound when reversing car

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2008, 02:15 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Grinding sound when reversing car

Here's my situation, when I put my car ('51 bugeye wrx wagon) in reverse and start to accelerate in reverse I get this grinding sound, as well as the usual common gear whine. If I'm reversing very slowly I do not hear it, but once I gain a little speed in reverse I hear the grind and it does not go away as I accelerate. There is no problem getting in gear (that is perfectly fine), the problem is when I am already in gear.

I have seen lots of forums with this kind of problem described and some drivers have even accepted it as a feature of the car but mine never used to make this noise which tells me something's not right somewhere. There was a slight rattling coming from underneath the centre of the car the other day but this appears to have stopped now.

I have read that someone else who has experienced this problem found their exhaust flanges to be rubbing on the drive shaft. Others in a post on the general community board have suggested to me that it could be the clutch release bearing but I have briefly spoken to an independent subaru garage and they seem to be ruling out clutch release bearing from what I've described.

Any ideas?
Old 14 August 2008, 06:27 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its prob your brake pads mine dont like going backwards either