Questions for John Banks - Dawes

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2002, 05:42 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

John

I don't think I've been paying as much attention as I should have been over the last few months - can you give me a descritption of exactly what the Dawes devices is / does? Upto now, I've not modified my MY01 in the engine dept, but with the fitting of one Pete Croney's fine exhaust systems on Monday, I'm beginning to get the bug again

This is an open invitation BTW - I've addressed it to John as the acknowledged guru, but if anyone wants to chip in feel free.

Chris
Old 06 February 2002, 06:06 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mean you are not going to read my 1000 postings on the topic and then come out with a NEW AND SCINTILLATING QUESTION?

Less of the guru S**T - I don't wear a dress or sandles.

It is a ball and spring assembly which sees the pressure at the turbo outlet and depending on how tightly the Dawes is screwed up the pressure will lift the ball off its rest and let the pressure go to the wastegate acutator.

Thus it reduces the "wastegate creep" - the amount the wastegate opens during spool up (appreciable on the standard or PPP ECUs) and gives you much quicker spool up, better boost control, and you can also adjust your held boost level up to fuel cut.

It costs about £25, is fitted in minutes.

The only issue on MY98-02 is that it is so frisky it tends to give you rather too quick spool up on part throttle which is not good for driveability or your turbo, but this can be fixed by enlarging a single hole on the Dawes to 1.5mm (from 0.5mm).

On a MY01 there are other issues (possibly smaller injectors? and catted uppipe and high exhaust gas temperatures) - I will leave you to look out the relevant posts, but I don't have a MY01 so can't document them fully and authoritatively.
Old 06 February 2002, 06:15 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know John - terrible isn't it? I shall be giving myself a damn good thrashing to make sure I pay attention in future! - Thanks for the quick reply.

Chris
Old 06 February 2002, 06:15 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Cool

john,

heres a question for you

how much boost are you going to run at K/hill?I thin I will run about 15psi with the Dawes on track just to keep the temps down.

I think you should organise a group buy on front mount intercoolers,I'm thinking that I could fit a front mount to this car for safety and then fit it to a STI7 eventually.
Old 06 February 2002, 06:26 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

17PSI and stick to <10 laps at once (prob 5) depending on ambients. I won't be doing the first track day of the year - need to book in for private session and ensure good weather for my first one.

I think the car is quite well matched in terms of braking, tyres, torque etc for fast road - will have to see about the track.

PPP runs 17PSI, and I am just running a smidgeon extra of 2 PSI at the top end, but have the EGT benefits from a downpipe.

If you run a Dawes I would just use your usual settings - you would not influence top end boost with the Dawes if you set to 15PSI very much - ie same over 6000RPM.

By the time I do K/hill I might have the EBC working and may map in a small reduction at the top end, if I am still on the Dawes I might loosen my actuator a bit to drop the boost to like I had it on the RR which I think would be fine for hammering around K/hill.
Old 06 February 2002, 08:32 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Chris,

once you've read all the Dawes posts (I can provide the URL's if you need), I can show you my Dawes next time I see you - likelyhood is, I won't have it fitted by then so you can have a play with it (take it apart) etc....

Ta,

Matt
Old 06 February 2002, 08:45 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one Matt - be very interested

Chris
Old 06 February 2002, 08:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Wink

What are you waiting for Matt?
Old 07 February 2002, 10:10 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

John,

Knocklink/Lambdalink so I've got before and after readings.....(and they should (hopefully) be winging their way to me v.soon)

Matt
Old 07 February 2002, 10:47 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Chris,

Are you having the up-pipe done?

Cheers

Simon