Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Induction kits for MY01

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2002, 03:32 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone fitted and induction kit to their 01 yet? APS have developed a cold air induction kit using a K&N filter and K& N seem to do something similar for some models but haven't seen one for an 01 yet.

Are they any good? How much additional noise do they generate? (don't need anymore!)What about the MAF sensor which I understand is built into the 01 airbox? Questions...Questions.....
Old 28 January 2002, 04:48 PM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Smile

DT, You are correct my car is a My01 and is due to to go into K&N Research to be the test mule for their new "induction" kit for our vehicle, yes the MAF is incorporated into the new air box but will pose no problems, there has been reports of K&N filters causing problems ie due to oil contamination, but the GG product as far as i am aware uses the same filter and if you check K&N'S web site they have an article refuting the contamination theory.As far as I am concerned they are ok,watch this space and I will keep you posted.Oh yes they are slightly more noisy, but in a nice throaty way.
Sandman.
Old 28 January 2002, 04:55 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks Sandman, lucky you!! When will the kit be available? Is it one of the Generation 11 units I've seen advertised?

Re MAF, what happens?? I'm not technical so don't really know what it does something to do with measuring airflow. Do you just junk it, customise it or buy an aftermarket replacement?
Old 28 January 2002, 09:02 PM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Smile

DT,dont know when the new kit will be available as they test and play with the unit on mine first then the prototype gets set to the USA for manufacturing and a part number.It will probably be a few months.The MAF measures air flow cant be junked as such unless you intend to use a very sophisticated engine management such as a "Link" unit ,v costly and not yet currently available for MY01-02,but will be shortly so I believe.
Sandman.
Old 28 January 2002, 09:08 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I've got the Graham Goode induction kit fitted to my bugeye. It uses a KnN cone filter and a custom pipe, you remove the MAF sensor from its mount on the airbox and just slot it in the GG pipe. It makes the proper induction noises, but I'm unconvinced of any other real benefit...still I got it for the noise LOL
Chuck