Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

PPG Dog gearset

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2008, 11:27 AM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPG Dog gearset

Does anyone know if their is any sequence to get a 5 speed PPG box into reverse. I recall that with my PAR box I had to select another gear first, cannot remember if it was 4th or 5th.

Reverse does not engage and the mechanic is talking about opening it up again to see if anything wrong. I am not in the country at the moment, so cannot try myself, but i do want them to try again before they drop the box.
Old 07 April 2008, 02:43 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

is it a full dog box, or is it just a built ppg gearset?

the ppg gearset isn't a dog box, the dog refers to the selection method, and as i understand will wear out very very quickly.

if its justa built ppg gearset then nope, will go straight into reverse, although sometimes mine is a pain, just lef tthe clutch drop it again and it will go in, so shouldn't be anything special to shift into gear
Old 07 April 2008, 04:21 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I remember David @Api saying they only last for several hundred miles before they need replacing- gulp
Old 07 April 2008, 04:27 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

about 1000 mile so i've been told
Old 07 April 2008, 08:02 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron

It is the PPG gearset. Will try tomorrow and see if it just needs some fiddling to get it into gear. The PAR set definitely needed 4th gear selected first.

What needs replacing after several hundred to 1000 miles?

My PAR gearset lasted 10000 miles of daily use and only 3rd gear was destroyed after 2 bar and a session with nitrous. Otherwise the other gears are still in perfect condition. I bought the PPG as was told it was a better kit and also PAR were very difficult to deal with.
Old 08 April 2008, 09:51 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

its the dog selectors, if its just a normal ppg gearset then dont worry, you wont have dog slectors.

the ppg gearset is whats in mine (straight cut version) and dont need to do anythign to get it into reverse so sounds like somthing is amis
Old 08 April 2008, 11:10 AM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info. The boys are looking at it now, so hopefully they will sort today. Need to have it ready for the rescheduled hillclimb on Sunday.

As it has been about five years since I last drove with the PAR gearset, can you indicate how you use it. The car will only be used for hillclimbs and tarmac rallies.

Do you flatshift when going up through the gears or quickly dip the clutch? I used to flatshift wth the PAR set, and only use the clutch when downshifting.

Double clutch for normal driving.

It it easy to get into first when needed for tight hairpins?
Old 08 April 2008, 11:45 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

i haven't got a dog box, but from what i was told the dog gear box is the true rally box, designed for flat shifting, but as i understand it you need to double clutch, they wear quickly, and your talking best part of 10 grand for a built box.

the cost was way to prohibative for me so i got uprated selctors and a straight cut gearset, wonder if that will be suffiecent for what your after?

suppose it comes down to budget, if you can afford a new gearbox every 1k and your doing racing then prob the box to have
Old 11 April 2008, 02:12 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

All fixed. Somehow when being reassembled something was moved slightly. Have no idea what it was, as they are explaining to me in Greek. Will have a quick spin tonight and then first real test on Sunday. I have been told that the PPG set is very easy to use compared to the PAR set. Things must have changed from 2001 as it was a b**stard to use.

A dog box is way too expensive even when only used for motorsport. It is only for five hillclimbs and three tarmac rallies so the uprated gearset is more than enough.