Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox Install

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2008, 07:24 PM
scoobykarl
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gearbox Install

Hi to all and thanks in advance for any help.Having undertaken my first diy clutch install on a MY98 Classic i am finding difficulty mating engine/bellhousing.Clutch plate centralised,even gap all around with bottom 2 studs showing enough thread for nut to be initialy started.Tried turning crank whilst pushing gearbox onto splines to no avail.Any ideas as to why i am having problems with matching splines,would the locating dowels stop splines from meeting up?Any ideas would be much appreciated.Many thanks.Karl
Old 25 March 2008, 12:58 PM
Felipe Rose
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The box has to be at the same angle as the engine for it to slide into place. I had to jack the front of my engine to obtain this. Then it was just a good hard wiggle.

You have got the right clutch for it ? If you're sure then it should just be a case of getting the box and engine alligned.
Old 25 March 2008, 06:22 PM
P1SWRT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try turning the gearbox stubshafts to align the gearbox input shaft with the engine. is the gearbox in neutral?
If the gearbox will sit on the bottom dowels and you can get a nut on them try tightening up the bolts on the top of the gearbox and see if it will pull the gearbox to the engine.

How have you set the clutch and release fork / release bearing? IS the bearing on the input shaft and the circlip on the clutch plate? If the release bearing circlip is still on the bearing it won't mate on the clutch.

HTH
Rob
Old 25 March 2008, 08:46 PM
scoobykarl
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Now all installed.Thanks for your replies/help

After an early start this morning found the dowels were the problem.After tightening bottom nuts this brought engine/bellhousing together,followed by top bolts.Being the first time in doing this i now know the procedure incase i need again.Just leaves me to recover from much soreness from undertaking this on a cold roadside,lol.Again many thanks to all,the scooby community are one of a kind