Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

DCCD & torque steer

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2008, 08:38 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DCCD & torque steer

Will setting the DCCD on the 2nd notch from the back reduce torque steer on front wheels when accelerating hard. At the moment I have left DCCD in Auto & when putting foot down get quite a bit of torque steer. Though DCCD Auto setting might be good on track, having a sharp front end with a bit of torque steer, but on small B roads a bit less torque steer would be safer IMO. I am hoping setting the DCCD to rear bias may cure this??? Any ideas.

Last edited by rickya; 21 March 2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 21 March 2008, 09:19 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Torque steer on a 4 wheel drive
I didnt think it was possible, are you sure its not just your tracking that is out?
Old 21 March 2008, 09:31 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

I dont think so, I just bought it from Litchfields who did 4 wheel alignment. I think imaybe ts just the 330 bhp running through it that does it!!
Old 21 March 2008, 10:38 PM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

i cant figure what your expalining here mate seems like what i used to get in my civic type r when the front tyres were really low good old tourq steer. now my subaru is 379 and 390 and mine does not tourq steer. diffs are quiet aggresive are u not sure your just felling them
Old 22 March 2008, 12:43 AM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

My STI Type-r dont torque steer, when its wet the back end is a bit sketchy tho

I cant see how it can torque steer if the power is delevered equally to either side of the car
Old 22 March 2008, 03:07 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Set the DCCD to diff-free (all the way back in manual) will remove any understeer (probably what your feeling combined with your tyre choice), if anything your steering will be lighter and you will have oversteer.

Setting the DCCD to 2nd green light on mine gives a good balance however in damp conditions I have found my car understeers a touch but thats probably down to the tyre choice.

You could be feeling the diff winding up, I have had that feeling when I have had the dccd set between the 2nd green and 1st orange (or on the 1st orange).
Old 22 March 2008, 09:17 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your advice so far but I am getting abit concerend that others dont seem to be having this problem though!!

Just to clarify: when I am travelling in a straight line & floor it the front end loses traction; steering goes a bit light & car goes off to the right a bit, so then I either come off power or try to correct steering. I am thinking this is torque steer.

Could it be tyre pressures too high; incorrect alignment or worse a diff issue??
Old 22 March 2008, 09:53 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tyre type and road conditions (dry/damp/wet) when this occurred.

Tony
Old 22 March 2008, 10:00 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Tony I think you may have hit the nail on the head there mate. The tyres are new also which Iv just been told will make it worse. I think once tyres have scrubbed in a bit & weather is warmer & less damp things should improve.
Old 22 March 2008, 10:07 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to have plenty of sideways action on my RE070's with quick starts in the wet until they got some traction down keeps you on your toes

Tony
Old 22 March 2008, 03:48 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

The only other thing im thinking it could be is some bushes that are worn somewhere along the line, that could cause your steering to be a bit like that.
Old 22 March 2008, 08:42 PM
Scooby Regular

IMHO: follow Tony's comments.
(370 bhp hillclimb /road car with dccd and a stack more)

New tyres are awful until scrubbed well.
Old 23 March 2008, 12:15 PM
Dan9106
Scooby Newbie

Hi Rickya!

Mine does the same, taking mine up to Powerstation in a couple of weeks for a 4 wheel set up, hopefully that should sort the problem.

What tyres are you using, mine are Goodyear F1's?
Old 23 March 2008, 12:16 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Bridgestone RE070's
Old 25 March 2008, 07:54 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

In my experience, worn RE070's pull and tug at every undulation in the road and drag the car all over the place.....especially under hard acceleration.

Unusual on new ones though, but like you say......it was damp!
Old 26 March 2008, 01:47 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Torque steer is due to an unequal torque reaction, eaxctly what you are NOT describing...this usually happens with unequal length driveashfts or other asymmetry in the suspension geometries.

If the front is 'scrabbling for grip' then any traction difference between the two front wheels will result in some pull of the wheel, this is a lot worse with a front LSD, but this is not torque steer!

Simon
Old 26 March 2008, 03:00 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
Bridgestone RE070's
I'd say thats you're problem.

As mentioned above my experience of them was that they tramlined very badly tugging at the steering etc.

Great tyre apart from that though, albeit quite noisey.

Shaun
Old 26 March 2008, 06:13 PM
J90RDN
Scooby Regular

Yep, had the same problem with the RE070 tyres. First scooby I had a half worn RE070's, and was quite surprised how they tugged it all over the road. Scooby I have now had completely worn RE070's on the front, and also tugged and tramlined. Changed to Michelin PS2's on second day of ownership and now goes exactly where you want it when you put your foot down, which helps on a B road when your trying to put down nearly 300bhp !!!
Old 31 March 2008, 12:55 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

rickya,
Torque comes in fast and hard on the twin scroll (well the PowerStation mapped ones do! lol), so you have to get used to that when driving! You are not feeling anything that I havent before in a Spec C when giving it some beans, as the front end does feel like it is going light. You just need to hold on as the steering is very sensitive to inputs.

Iain took my Spec C out last month. Upon his return he said "You could of told me I needed to warm the tyres up before giving it some". Even though it runs T1-R's for the road, 550+lbft of torque doesnt help traction much!

You have nothing to worry about mate.
Old 31 March 2008, 02:36 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
rickya,
Torque comes in fast and hard on the twin scroll (well the PowerStation mapped ones do! lol), so you have to get used to that when driving! You are not feeling anything that I havent before in a Spec C when giving it some beans, as the front end does feel like it is going light. You just need to hold on as the steering is very sensitive to inputs.

You have nothing to worry about mate.
As others have correctly commented & webmaster its a combination of almost power tramlining with the RE070's & also getting used to the immense torque generated by my new Powersation mapped insane Spec C!!!

You'l all be pleased to know that after putting over two hundered miles on it in a week (thats not driving to work miles, just driving up & down the A1 in recent snow & rain!!), that I haven't killed muself or the car!! In fact I think that I am getting used to its power delivery & sublime handling & am enjoying it like no other car I have owned. The car feels so alive & connected & responds to every small input, that it feels almost living...if you know what I mean. (apologies Audi & Merc owners!)

I have learnt to now: anticipate & be ready for the sudden power delivery; squeeze the throttle rather than being clumsy & sudden on it; being responsive quicky with steering inputs but smoothly. All these small changes in my driving style have helped me start learning how to drive the Spec C, but its just the tip of the iceberg as I feel the car has a lot more charachter & depth in terms of driving dynamics than 99% of cars out there.

Full write & report on my first scooby will follow once I can do a few little mods & take some decent pics.
Old 31 March 2008, 08:22 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

If I were you, I would get the car on a track. It is what the car was built for and it will let you learn what the car will and will not do.