Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Piston Slap on STI MY98 - Help...

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2002, 05:06 PM
madness
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I bought a Version 4 STI Type R a couple of months ago. I think it has piston slap - knocking tapping noise when cold, goes away after a few minutes. Mileage is 27000 miles and the car drives very smoothly.

Does this problem need to be fixed A.S.A.P. or is it OK to live with it?

If it does need to be fixed, can anyone recommend somewhere reliable that will be able to fix this problem and say roughly how much it would cost to repair? Unfortunately for me, I bought it privately and have no warranty.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Nes.
Old 23 January 2002, 06:51 PM
NENO
Scooby Regular

Well someone has got to answer 14 views and not one with an opinion!

I read somewhere on here that it's OK in the short term, but can ovalise the block and cause a permanent problem if left. I've heard it said by others that they'd rather leave it than have someone fiddle with their car - don't understand this...

Have a chat with Scooby Sport in Essex, that's what I did - looks like it's going to cost £600 for a new piston - engine out job. Apparently Subaru have an upgrade piston that's 100 thou bigger, and fixes the problem, give SS a call they are good guys who REALLY know there stuff.

It's a common prob on UK cars, don't know about imports.
Old 23 January 2002, 09:05 PM
madness
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks Neno, I'll give em a call.

I thought I might of got some more responses with the problem being quite common with MY98 cars... (so I have read).

Someone also recommended trying GrahamGoode for fixing the problem.

Has anyone had any engine work done by them...?

Old 23 January 2002, 09:11 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Before you do anything m8, have a listen to this recording of piston slap, provided by Alan Leslie, to see if you really do have piston slap.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.leslie/

Cheers,

Wrexy.

Old 23 January 2002, 09:23 PM
madness
Scooby Regular

Thanks Wrexy, sounds kind of similar... will get it checked out to diagnose the problem.
Old 24 January 2002, 09:29 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I have thought on occasions that I may have piston slap; I also have an MY98 STi4. However, the STi engines are apparently more rattly and tappety in the first place than a UK engine due to the solid lifters.
I have experienced no problems with compression or performance and as you say, within a minute, things quieten down and all runs smoothly.
I personally won't do anything unless the noise gets worse or prolonged.
I think many of us have become over cautious as a result of a few people getting this problem. Lets face it, how many cars have you had that weren't more rattly when cold? This is why it is recommended that all cars are warmed up before caning them.
As far as I know, piston slap only affected MY97-98 UK cars as STi's have different pistons and internals (feel free to correct me).

Neil.