Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Prodrive vs Scoobysport & Magnex etc

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2002, 07:27 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question. We all like the sound of those phat exhausts, but what about the Prodrive back boxes?

How do they sound, compared to a normal stock back box, and more importantly to the SS and Magnex brigade?

Also, what (if any) performance gains would I achieve (hardly any, I guess) in sticking it on a normally stock exhaust system on a MY99 Turbo?

Your replies are, as ever, greatly appreciated.
Old 23 January 2002, 08:11 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

BuRR,

I've got a PPP BB (the round one, not the WR oval one). It will give the car a deeper burble at idle and is generally quite quiet at <4000 rpm/off boost/small throttle openings. However, once you boot it, the note changes, it gets much louder and there is a sort of top end whoosing noise. It's quite destinctive

However, it's not as loud as a Magnex or a SS BB but I suspect that they all give a similar performance gain. You should get maybe 5-8bhp (I got about 7bhp) but what makes all the difference is the way the turbo spools up a bit faster, and the car feels like it's got more bottom end - the improvement in drivability is v.nice

Matt
Old 23 January 2002, 08:33 AM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've just fitted PPP BB to my MY99, there are no other mods it sounds a shed load better - would have to say how it should have sounded in the first place !

It definitely changes the characteristics of the car, as you accelerate and the sound is so oohh...... deaper, louder and have to aggree for full effect back windows have to be down !

I have heard magnex and SS they are louder - but I didnt want it to intrude too much so went for the PPPBB.

As for looks - its round and says Prodrive - what can I say.

I did notice scoobyscene had one in there used section yesterday. With a substantial saving over new !

T.
Old 23 January 2002, 10:54 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I've got Magnex - its not as loud as the SS........
Old 23 January 2002, 12:17 PM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

I fitted a Magnex BB and KN panel filter on my stock MY98.

Sounds:..
BB sounds great but can be a bit boomy on +45min motorway journeys without the stereo on.

Performance:..
Due to the sound of the BB you tend to change gear a bit later and thus use more fuel. What I have noticed is that the car is happy to change into 5th at 39mph where it used to struggle with the stock BB until 45mph. The power seems to come more evenly across the range, whether its more power I dont really know but it feels quicker.

Looks:..
It looks great and more purposeful than the standard pea shooters.
Also more people tend to see where the wonderful burble is comming from so be prepared for some more stares.

Insurance:..
I am with DL and it didnt make a difference, though remember when a insurer asks if its a performance item tell them that its a performance car so the stock item is a performance part. Also if you wander through the Rolling road results you will see that on a cold day 10bhp was gained. Is the insurer going to charge you more everytime its cold.

Hope this helps

Neal
Old 23 January 2002, 01:41 PM
DMB
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've got full ppp system which is quiet compered to magnex and scoobysport. It is nice to drive with tho - quiet below 4k rpm and then all hell breaks loose above that if you nail it
Old 23 January 2002, 03:42 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Talking

Has anyone on here got the 6x4 oval Magnex? I will probably be getting one secondhand soon and am wondering what to expect.

Whip

Trending Topics

Old 23 January 2002, 03:50 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Whip,

I have the 6"x4" Magnex and it gives a nice exhaust note. At a recent rolling road meet it is not as loud as a full scoobysport system, HKS, BPM.

I have had it on my car for 17 months now and I am used to the noise levels. I am thinking of getting something louder. If I do go for another backbox then I will be ensuring I've had a passenger ride in a car that has one before I buy.

I think it is the ideal choice for those who want a performance gain without the associated noise associated with a Scoobysport for example.

Damian.
Old 23 January 2002, 04:17 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have had both round and oval Magnex and preferred the oval,I found it louder and boomier,it also (imo) looked better.I now have a Blitz nur spec,but may go back to the Magnex oval as it does not suit the car as much,it is also hellish LOUD .

[Edited by T-uk - 1/23/2002 4:17:52 PM]
Old 23 January 2002, 04:32 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers chaps

T-Uk - are you saying the Blitz is LOUD, or the Magnex? I'm after a nice exhaust note without going ott.

Whip
Old 23 January 2002, 04:47 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

I found Magnex oval louder than Magnex round but not ott.

Blitz,more like WRC I have been told.
Old 23 January 2002, 06:33 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

I have the oval WR Sport BB. Much nicer sound than standard item, but not too boomy on the motorway (mine's a wagon, you do get a fair bit more noise with the seats down though).

Agree with comments above, it definitely pulls nicely from lower revs and brings out the sound of the boxer.

Oval pipes are not that popular, and I would have probably preferred a round one, but the WR Sport came up at the right price. Now I think the oval suits the wagon better.....

Tim
Old 23 January 2002, 08:21 PM
well hung
Scooby Regular

I have magnex 6x4 and cat centre section (straight through) and think it sounds perfect. If you red line it screams, but driven at low revs it gives a deep purring noise. SS seem to make loud drumming noises which can get anoying , as for prodrive i cant say.
Old 23 January 2002, 08:49 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

Spoke to Burr earlier on, what a really nice guy! As I told him Magnex is the best balance of sound vs cost, you also get a lifetime warranty with them and the quality is faultless.

Speak to you later Steve!
Old 23 January 2002, 11:56 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well i went for the Magnex and K/N filter, the to combined defo makes it rev better, it seems more keen to rev to the red line now as for noise its about right, loud enough to hear a scoob coming but not to wake the dead, although on song im not sure how loud it gets, on the Network q when i pulled out to pass things and gave it a foot full you certainly get people looking i like the sound

Lee
Old 24 January 2002, 09:50 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

I've had Standard followed by Scoobysport, followed by Magnex followed by Prodrive.

Scoobysport loudest with slight resonance at 3,000rpm when pulling up hill.
Magnex slightly less loud, but still slight resonance. Not as distict burble as the Scoobysport.
Prodrive is the quietest, and certainly changes tone at 4000rpm, sounding like a low flying jet. Burble at tickover and no resonance.

Prodrive gets the thumbs up from me as it suits my slow driving when the wife and nipper are on board and my above 4000rpm atitude when there not.

Oh! and the Prodrive fits by far the best with both the pipework and tailpipe nice and close to the underside.

Scoobysport pipework hung a bit lower around the diff/driveshaft and Magnex rear box was almost too low and highly visible, when compared to the Prodrive.

[Edited by Scott.T - 1/24/2002 9:51:37 PM]
Old 25 January 2002, 04:59 PM
Ben M
Scooby Newbie

Is that with the oval Prodrive exhaust? I have just bought a SS BB but it's too loud on a wagon. Prodrive BB sounds like a better bet. I have not been able to get hold of a round one though through a dealer. Is there any way of getting them - and is there any real difference?
Old 25 January 2002, 06:35 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Pre-new age you should be able to get a P1 BB (round) or a WR Sport (oval) through a dealer. I have the latter on my wagon and it's a nice balance, not too loud.

They are pricey though, around £350 IIRC, but you preserve your warranty in full.

I got mine s/hand, 6 months old for about half that.

Cheers
Tim
Old 25 January 2002, 08:15 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

It's the round 3.5 inch Prodrive BB that you can only get with a PPP
OR
In my case 2nd hand off the Scoobynet. They do crop up from time to time as people upgrade to Scoobysport BB's cause they want more noise.

Got mine for £150 from Steve Lawson.
Old 26 January 2002, 09:17 AM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Got my PPP back box off scoobynet see above - 120 quid - very pleased and excellent fit.

Should say 3.5 round - was thinking of magnex 6x4 but decided it would be too big and noisy.

T.

[Edited by Trumble - 1/26/2002 9:18:34 AM]