Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

WRX ECU Upgrade options???

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2002, 08:20 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a 01 WRX with a full Scoobysport system including the DP & UP. Although I had a PPP on order originally, I cancelled it as I thought that I might have more options to fine tune the car with a full decat and possible other mods later.

However, I'm now struggling to find anthing to take advantage of the exhaust. Superchips, seem cheap and chearful and get a bad press here so they're out. Bob Rawle has been saying the Link will be ready soon for months, and it still isn't. Even if it was I'm a bit reluctant to try a solution thats unproven on a MY01.

I was very attracted to Rollerskate's APS mods which included a Unichip. They have successfully modded over 250 WRX's using their system. However, APS will not sell the Unichip and map without buying their exhaust and intercooler too. That comes to a princely £2,500 which I would have considered, had I not already spent the best part of £1,000 on my exhaust. Even if I sell it, I will lose a lot on it.

I was very interested in the blurb that APS were providing on the Unichip. It made a lot of sense to use the standard ECU for cold starts, idling and some of the regular work, allowing the Unichip to do the performance stuff. Can't find anyone that does them though, UK Unichip website is "under construction". Anyone know trusted Unichip fitters??

Any suggestions on what I should do??? Beginning to wish I'd had the PPP and then fitted the DP & UP as per RB5SCOTT and others.
Old 21 January 2002, 08:59 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

DT

Scotts car is awesome

I will be making similar mods as soon as the car becomes mine ( then here I come track days )

Then it will be the Sti for work and the WRX for play

Phil
Old 21 January 2002, 09:17 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

DT
Although i've got some good figures its not to everyones taste regarding warranties. i think i've got a fair bit from the APS induction and ported headers but this made my car run lean and cost me another £600 to put right. Having said that no matter how crude people think(me included) the new ppp is, it gives me a fair amount of boost, just over 1.2bar in 4th and nearly 1.3bar in 5th

my mods include
PPP
Ported headers, up & down pipe and centre
APS cold air induction
Forge dump valve
HKS fuel controller
Millers + Optimax
@PE on Saturday i got 286bhp with 273lb\ft

Another option for you could be a boost contoller and Unichip for around £600

If you wanted to keep the warranty then your only option would be the ppp, which in my personal view needs tweeking

If not bothered about the warranty do what i've done or buy the cheaper unichip

hope this helps
Scott
Old 21 January 2002, 11:28 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

DT.

Powerstation (www.powerstation.org.uk) have been doing Unichips for years and will map it against your current mods. and not force you to have other mods.

Cheers

Ian

Old 22 January 2002, 08:48 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Question

Anybody in the UK got experience of the Unichip on the MY01, and if so, who did you have fit and tune it? On i-Club there are various opinions ranging from very good to poor, and it seems to depend as much as anything on the quality of the person mapping it.

Thanks

Duncan
Old 22 January 2002, 08:52 AM
DT
Scooby Regular

thanks chaps.
Not bothered about warranties as mine is a Euro import and only has a month left.

Won't do the PPP now as agin will have to remove the exhaust, unless I can get one of the PPP boards reputed to be available in the States. However, then I may need to do extra mods to compensate for something else as you saw Scott.

So still looking for an ECU that can be mapped to suit my car now ............and in the future. I seem to need a monthly car spend fix!!!!