Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Possible Inner CV Joint Failure? Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2008, 03:44 PM
Carlos69
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possible Inner CV Joint Failure? Need Advice!

Hi All,

I have been experiencing problems with my steering for a few weeks now, I’ve had four attempts and locating the problem and may have found it!

The problem only manifests when cornering on sharp left hand bends, under power at slow speeds at nearly full lock. Some movement is transmitted through the steering wheel when you hear a ‘clunk’ and again when the steering is centred when on the move.

The feeling when driving seems like a metal component pops out when turning and pops back when returning the wheels.

First impressions make you think it’s the outer CV joint, these seem pretty good and tight with all boots are intact. The offside inner CV joint has a little play and can be levered to make sounds similar to the ones heard when driving.

My theory is that the offside wheel when cornering left hand bends provides the most torque due to the greater distance and stressing the inner CV.

Does this sound logical?

I have read a number of forums on the same subject which lack any remedial actions. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Also does anyone who may have or know of any suppliers who stock either a complete driveshaft or an inner CV joint, if I require one?

Car is a UK Facelift MY99 Wagon with disk mounted ABS Phonic wheel

Cheers

Last edited by Carlos69; 10 February 2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11 February 2008, 07:19 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacement driveshafts in stock at Welcome to the API website plus advice apleanty from David there. Mail order too.