Queston about front differential 2003 H6

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2008, 02:48 AM
dbullen
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Queston about front differential 2003 H6

Just purchased a 2003 Outback H6 (no VDC) with 127,000 Miles

- I have noticed a grinding kind of noise when driving (that slightly increases as I speed up) (only happens in gear and with foot on the gas) noise goes away when letting off the gas or coasting down hill). Put the car up on the hoist and it appears noise is coming from the front Differential, actually when you put a screw driver up to the front differential and put your ear against it you can hear it. Wondering if anyone knows if there is a particular bearing or part inside the Front Differential that is common to cause this? Or if I should look at a rebuilt of differential (can I even get the parts from Subaru for this?) Or should I replace (I think I would have to buy a whole new transmission that comes with front differential from Subaru for $5000CAD). Fluid was full, is it worth replacing with new? I can get labour costs for a very reasonable rate, so I’m more concerned about part prices then whether it will take many hours of labour.
Old 28 January 2008, 08:03 AM
bikerthou
Scooby Regular

not been daft but which fluid was full ?
Old 28 January 2008, 01:00 PM
dbullen
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bikerthou
not been daft but which fluid was full ?
Front Differential Fluid (dip stick on the left hand side) it was gear oil forsure that was on the dipstick. I have not check the transmission fluid yet, however transmission seems very smooth.

Used this diagram to find dip stick

Last edited by dbullen; 28 January 2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 29 January 2008, 01:01 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO:
Cheaper to swap the whole transmission.
You could do worse than contact David at Welcome to the API website for help/supply and friendly professional advice.

Good idea is to call him by phone.
Old 29 January 2008, 02:01 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Graham, I think this guy is overseas. AND I haven't got a clue - just for once. Diagnosing noises and causes of noises is not as simple as it seems. Sometimes the noise is a familiar one, so we've been there before. But one that is unfamiliar is nearly impossible without hearing it live.

Sure I have big ears, but Canada is a bit of a stretch even for them.

Sorry, don't think I can do much this time.

Good luck dbullen

David APi
Old 29 January 2008, 04:49 PM
Denmark
Scooby Regular

""Front Differential Fluid (dip stick on the left hand side) it was gear oil forsure that was on the dipstick. I have not check the transmission fluid yet, however transmission seems very smooth""

...And the fluid is not seperated between the gearbox and front diff,so there is not more dipsticks to check..

/Skassa
Old 30 January 2008, 01:33 AM
dbullen
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Denmark
""Front Differential Fluid (dip stick on the left hand side) it was gear oil forsure that was on the dipstick. I have not check the transmission fluid yet, however transmission seems very smooth""

...And the fluid is not seperated between the gearbox and front diff,so there is not more dipsticks to check..

/Skassa
Thanks guys, I ended up also taking the car to Subaru dealership to have them take a look, basically all they could tell me is yes the noise is coming from Front Differential and there is nothing that can be done other then purchased a new or remanufactured transmission. Said they can't rebuild front differential because they don't have the tools to set the gears up or something.

Trending Topics

Old 30 January 2008, 07:08 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hence my comment to get another gearbox complete and matching the rear diff ratio.

There must be a breakers/wrecking yard close to you who can help or even Ebay? Any garage can swop the transmission over.