Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ECOTEC CB-26B any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2002, 07:33 PM
Stuart Taylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spotted an advert for this in Japanese Performance mag and checked out there web site. Looks like its been used on some Imprezza's with good results on mpg. 10% gain!
so I just wondered if anyone had fitted it on Scoobynet and is it as good as they advertise it.

The web address is www.ecotekplc.com

Thanks Stuart
Old 12 January 2002, 10:31 PM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have had 1 fitted to my RB5 for the last 15000 miles and I average 25-27mpg - this is 10-15% more than previous. It doesn't work on boost so no risk to the engine. Hasn't really affected driveability either. Highly recommended.
Old 12 January 2002, 10:51 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

I'm really baffled (easy hu) as to how these things work ??
If I'm correct, it's a form of bleed valve which allows additional air into the intake manifold, yes ??
Great on a non closed loop car as it will weaken the mixture slightly, assuming the factory settings are "safe" (read rich)
and result in an improvement in economy.

But, on a closed loop ECU such as found on all Scoobs then the mixture will be automatically corrected and it will not change.

Am I missing something ??

cc
Old 14 January 2002, 11:41 AM
Stuart Taylor
Scooby Regular

Iain

What pipe did you fit it to? I looked on the web site and both the pictures they show are different to a UK std turbo.

Thank Stuart
Old 14 January 2002, 12:24 PM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

I put mine in the dump valve vac supply hose and cable-tied it to the coil pack.
Old 14 January 2002, 01:14 PM
Stuart Taylor
Scooby Regular

Is that the pipe that comes from near the middle of the inlet manifold and goes down to a black plastic thing on the right hand side with 2 large pipes leading from it with one going to the intercooler. Have you got access to any pics?

Thanks Stuart
Old 14 January 2002, 04:58 PM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

This is mine
Old 14 January 2002, 05:49 PM
Stuart Taylor
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the pic Iain but my engine bay looks a little different. Mine is a MY98 and I have got a pipe coming off at the same point on the manifold but it goes down to a black plastic thing with 2 large pipes coming out from it. One pipe goes into the intercooler and the other goes into the side of the large pipe entering the turbo. Is this pipe the correct one. Sorry I dont have access to a digital camera to show you.
thank Stuart
Old 14 January 2002, 11:02 PM
Colin @ MSW
Scooby Regular

Iain

Would you say the valve works on the motorway? Think mine's on boost most of the time - therefore valve won't work - above 70 that is.

Presumably the 10-15% increase is around town?

I'm interested to improve my 22 mpg!

Colin
Old 15 January 2002, 06:45 AM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Sorry, Stuart, but I'm not sure about a 98MY. I think the hose you mention might be the BOV so this is the line to put it in.
My mpg figures are based on a mixture of roads so I can't really comment on the best conditions. Any part throttle (non boost) conditions is where the valve works. If you drive the car hard all the time then it will not be worth fitting one.
Old 15 January 2002, 08:04 AM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

Well if anyones interested in one of these I have one for sale, it's red with the small pipercross filter.

I had it fitted on mine but I'd not really noticed a difference as my right foot is heavier than the left hence noticing an increase in fuel consumption is hard.

Offers ??? gonna post in the for sale forum later this week once I've taken a piccie of it.

Cheers

O.M.
Old 15 January 2002, 10:00 AM
Colin @ MSW
Scooby Regular

One thing I'm interested in with the Ecotek is if it helps emmissions enough to get the car through the MOT with a Magnex downpipe on and with the second cat still in place. Anyone have any experience of this?

Colin
Old 16 January 2002, 12:52 PM
jmca
Scooby Regular

Colin,

About to try it soon. The blurb says it helps reduce & I have the centre CAT but the CAT behind the turbo is gone so any reduction would help! This seems similar situation to you!

I also have two ECU's - UK one & a Japanese one re-mapped - prob for 100RON. I'm also wondering if the Japanese one would reduce emissions as well as I read on Power Engineering's site about running lean or rich - it seems for more power you run lean but this increases the chance of engine meltdown under certain conditions. The Japanese one may be mapped to be not as rich.

Probably should ask this in a seperate post though.

Johny.