Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Changing Manual-Gear Oil (and bad shifting)

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2002, 06:04 PM
Itzik93
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello Guy's !

Last Friday i Changed Oil in the Transmission (94 Impreza, FWD, Manual) - I used AC-DELCO gear oil 80W90 (i have no idea what oil was there before...i own the car for 5 monthes).
I use this Oil for a LONG time in cars i used to Own (Loyals/Leone) and never had this problem: Since I changed the oil, the Transmission is making MUCH LESS noise (its a defenetly good thing) BUT when the car is COLD, its very hard to SHIFT from 1st to 2nd.

What should i do to get my Trans' shift better (and stay quite) ? Sould i Change to 75W90 ? and comments will be helpfull.

I know that this problem caused from worne synchrose - but i must find a solution and get it back to the way it was used to shift.
BTW: The car Shift's great in all other gears (even when its cold).

Thanks in Advance
Itzik.
Old 06 January 2002, 09:27 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Definitely sounds as if the oil is too thick when cold. Where are you? What does the temp. drop to? 75w/90 is recommended for most temps. I use Castrol Syntrax - recommended for Jap gearboxes.
JohnD
Old 06 January 2002, 10:40 PM
Itzik93
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im From israel.
The Temp' here is really NOT a big deal, but seems that this gearbox synchrose (especially the 2nd gear sync' - which is probably worn) does not not like this thick oil - the solution, as you mentioned, should be a thinner oil (i guess)

Anyway, Even when it cold, 3rd,4th and 5th gear are shifting like a butter - only the 2nd makes the trouble but ONLY when the car is cold...
When it warms up after few minutes of drive, Everything is going easy as it should be.

Thanks

Itzik