Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

My00 no 5th gear...

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2007, 03:45 PM
jcborden
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My00 no 5th gear...

Was having great fun on my first track day in my my00 impreza turbo then went for 5th (nice long runway straight) and it wouldn't engage. I was very gentle on it not wanting to try and force it and came in during that lap.

On the gentle drive home I could get it into 5th again - seeminly fine. I've had no crunching on any gears and no problems until it just wouldn't go into 5th.

Is this just the common problem of the nut coming undone on 5th? If so is it likely I will get away with just having this tightened?

Many thanks,
James
Old 02 September 2007, 04:31 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

This happened to me years ago.

My reverse gear went though. Ended up being a loose nut...can't remember the details but £300-400 bill from Subaru.
Old 02 September 2007, 07:54 PM
HowieG
Scooby Regular

Which runway? RAF Marham?

Call APi engines, they know all about this sort of thing.

Howard
Old 02 September 2007, 08:37 PM
jcborden
Scooby Newbie

Howie, yes RAF Marham. Unforuntely I only got a few laps on the first session before someone's engine blew dropping plenty of oil ending that session. Then I got about 5 laps on my second session before the 5th gear problem.

Will make some calls tomorrow.

Cheers.
Old 02 September 2007, 09:48 PM
HowieG
Scooby Regular

I think I heard the death rattle of that car. Shame you missed out. Another fella from SN was there - see a thread on Was it you?

I was at APi engines a few weeks ago - they diagnosed some noisey bearings in my gearbox. No time to fix that day so I asked them if they thought the box would last for my holiday to France - they said probably. I didn't mention the trackday, but it all has held together. Just another couple of weeks until I can get back up there.

Howard
Old 02 September 2007, 09:56 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HowieG
I think I heard the death rattle of that car. Shame you missed out. Another fella from SN was there - see a thread on Was it you?

I was at APi engines a few weeks ago - they diagnosed some noisey bearings in my gearbox. No time to fix that day so I asked them if they thought the box would last for my holiday to France - they said probably. I didn't mention the trackday, but it all has held together. Just another couple of weeks until I can get back up there.

Howard
Shame on you!!
Old 02 September 2007, 10:06 PM
HowieG
Scooby Regular

Oh no, I've been rumbled!

Didn't want to let my friends down, paid for the day way back etc, etc.

David, we'll speak during the week to get booked in. And I promise, no more fun 'till its fixed and serviced!

Howard
Old 03 September 2007, 09:59 AM
jcborden
Scooby Newbie

Howie, I was there on Sunday. There was a scooby wagon track car, black blobeye and a forrester going round having great fun whilst I was watching from the sidelines.

Now just waiting for a call back from API to book mine in for the gearbox.
Old 06 September 2007, 09:28 PM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

On the MY99/00 its the nut on the fifth gear shaft. Common and well known fault on that MY. Shouldnt be that expensive to fix as it can be done in situ in certain situations. Unless the tuner is trying it on.
Old 07 September 2007, 11:11 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being optimistic then some of the time it can be fixed just by tightening the nut. But in some cases it has been wangling around for a while and that causes damage to the synchro teeth and the synchro hub itself.

We did one in-situ for a customer a week or two ago that was quite successful, but still needed extra parts, which we showed him and explained what was adrift, compared to a new / good part.

We got him out of trouble, compared to a dealers quote, for a very sensible price.

Tightening the nut is an option, but it would make most sense to remove the 5th and reverse gear anyway, to double check whilst you are in there. No point just doing the nut up and putting it all together to find that it is not fixed.

David APi