Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Starting difficulty AGAIN... after select monitor says all is o.k

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2001, 12:45 PM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Suffered from an intermitant starting problem a month or so ago. Had the car put on a select monitor which came up clear for both history and present modes, but the ecu was reset anyway and all was well for about 6 weeks. This week I’m having difficulties getting the car to fire although the engine is cranking over as normal.

Anyone able to make some suggestions which the select monitor doesn’t check.... originally I suspected one of crank/temp sensors. Plugs maybe ?? Cr@p fuel ??.... I’m guessing.........

Steve
Old 21 December 2001, 03:14 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I'm no expert but you could just try a different crank sensor, the ecu may not note that the sensor is faulty. Just a thought.

H
Old 23 December 2001, 09:55 PM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

H,

Expensive, easy to do ??? I am a bit concerned its one of those things which is going to be difficult to pin point, especially when the select monitor says all is o.k with the items it checks. Not that i doubt the dealer network, but an intermitant problem does leave myself exposed a little to unnecessary work being carried out, let alone mechanics guessing and the car going back in again.

Wouldnt start twice today for a while and only did after repeated attempts with foot to the floor on the accelerator. Come on everyone, any ideas?, I cant be the only person whose scoob has had starting problems without being diagnosed on a select monitor..... am I ?? ! Would be good to take the car in with a armed with a little more info.

Steve
Old 23 December 2001, 09:59 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

you should not be touching the accelerator on start up.

[Edited by T-uk - 12/23/2001 9:59:44 PM]
Old 23 December 2001, 10:08 PM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

Question

T-uk,

fully agree with you and normally I dont touch the accelerator. When the problem arises its a last resort as without it the engine just cranks over and over and over.....
Old 23 December 2001, 10:15 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

It could also be the cam sensor. Just going off other threads that I've read. I'm no expert and I don't know where it's located either.

Wrexy.
Old 23 December 2001, 10:22 PM
Greenfin
Scooby Newbie

It maybe could be the throttel posision sensor.

I had starting problems when the TPS was damaged.

Old 23 December 2001, 10:53 PM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks fellas,

A point which H raises.... does the select monitor check the various sensors are operating correctly OR the items which they check ( or possibly both )?? .... As my car came up all clear on the monitor perhaps it could be a sensor which is at fault and not an item which it is "sensing"..... if that makes sense
Old 26 December 2001, 03:22 PM
pob on the job
Scooby Regular

Not sure if model years come into this or if my little story will help in any way, or indeed the occurances I experienced were purely coincidental.

I had an MY97, Catalunya. From the day I got it I had starting problems. Sometimes would, sometimes wouldn't, select monitor said AOK. I was later advised NEVER to use the throttle when starting and to reset the ecu.

I did this and the start problem disappeared. I, like the person who gave me the advice could not justify the explanation. Coincidental or not, it worked for me. It costs nothing to try it, so why not give the ecu a reset and keep your right foot off the throttle when starting. I'd be interested to hear if it works for you as well.

Alan
Old 26 December 2001, 04:26 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

SteveB,
I have no idea where the sensor is, surely the Subaru garage will lend you one for a while? If not then I suggest talking to an another garage like TSL or Scoobysport. They maybe more helpful. Sorry I can't be more help, nothing has been wrong with my scoob <grasping wooden table tightly>.

H
Old 29 December 2001, 05:30 PM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Alan,

Sound very similar to what I am experiencing. Just out of interest how long did it take for the engine to fire up when you had the problem. Had no hassle for about six weeks after the ecu was reset, but now it has returned. Did problems re-occur with yours with a re-set ecu ?

H,
I wish all dealers would be that helpful.... idoubt they will be though