Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Identifying modified parts

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2001, 08:21 PM
Abzdon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have recently bought my first Impreza , a MY99 UK turbo from a dealer and it seems to have come with a non-standard exhaust and Air Filter.

Having a quick look the exhaust seems to be new all the way back and doesn't seem to have a cat. Is there any easy way in identifying what exhaust system I have got ? It is definetly louder than a standard car but not the loudest I have heard. It alos has a single 3" odd tailpipe if that helps any.

Also got the standard filter box in the boot, and it seems some kind of cone filter in its place. Is this one of those induction kit that I have read about on here?(not that I know what they are, a little knowledge is dangerous!)

Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

Abzdon

Old 16 December 2001, 09:11 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

I may be wrong here (perhaps someone with more knowledge can comment !!) but I seem to remember hearing that some cone filters can damage your MAF sensor (airflow) due to oil contamination and vibration on later models, you should get this checked out in a hurry.

As for the exhaust, since you live in Aberdeen, you should give John Stewart a shout john@sidc.co.uk he should be able to meet up and identify it for you, tell him I told you.

Stuart

[Edited by sasim - 12/16/2001 9:11:44 PM]
Old 17 December 2001, 12:20 AM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

ABZDON, Its a myth that certain oil based filters wreck MAF'S check out frequently asked questions on K & N ,S web site to find the answer , was a faulty batch of MAF,S .I've run similar filters for years without any probs.

Sandman.