Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

FMIC on MY93 WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2001, 04:09 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've been doing a bit of research on FMICs but it appears that everbody that has one fitted has a MY97 onwards. At the moment i've only found one company who quote for this engine, HKS at £950 + vat. Does anybody have this fitted to this type of engine (or anyother type of FMIC?)???? If so does it accommodate the A/c radiator and do they recomend fitting an uprated water radiator (as some of the MY97 FMIC do?)??? How much bumper cutting is required (too many questions!!!!)?

Also am i wasting my time with this mod. At the moment the only engine mods are a K+N induction kit, fully decated Magnex exhaust and a Bailey Dump valve. I do plan on more mods in the future to hopefully give ~ 300-350 bhp. Im thinkig about it at the mo cos i've got a facelifted front end and as such the intercooler does not get as good a feed as with the early bonnet due to the angle it's at. I seem to remeber that Pete from Scoobysport had an early white RA that had the facelift front end, does any body know how he overcame the problem (or does anyboby else who's done the facelift conversion have some novel ideas)???

Cheers,

Tony.
Old 11 December 2001, 05:08 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Or go the air/water route....

Chargecooler

Thanks

Gavin
Old 11 December 2001, 10:17 PM
InsBro
Scooby Regular

Scoobymania - have you tried them? there FMIC includes a replacement radiator and will fit AirCon cars.

Search for Sam Ellasar's post re his FMIC

You will get huge gains.

Jeremy
Old 12 December 2001, 10:23 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Nearly all fmic kitsd fit with air con. The beauty of the pace kit from scoobymania is that is doesnt not require you to cut the bummper as it sits behind it (in front of the air con rad) it comes with a replacement rad and two higher capcity fans.

It also has all the bosses already in place for water injection, 2 water temp gauges and two charge temp gauges (before and after each heat exchanger).

I also changed my old style bonnet for a new one and didnt move the intercooler. You can simply make a duct which re routes the air out of some thin aluminium. A front mount would solve teh problem, in my old car I hardly noticed a change.

The front mount is a good idea for achieving the power you want, but it will cause the car to run seriously lean.

Ideally the components you need are:

remap. either by a link aftermarket ecu or unichip the standard ecu

bigger injectors (standard 380s are only good enough for 300bhp max safely)

standard turbo will be fine (tdo5 is big) but a hybrid IHI turbo or modified entry td05 would eb better.

full exhaust mods. (porting headers will make a difference)

The crucial bit is the ecu. fitting the other would be foolish without the adjustability it gives you. It should be first on your list.
Old 16 December 2001, 02:31 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies,

Think i'll do like you did Adam and put together a duct to scoop the air to the standard intercooler for the time being. Then do the FMIC when i'm ready for the Link etc.

Tony.