Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Slick 50.... any probs

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2001, 01:33 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

PTFE (teflon) is a plastic solid which when heated (in a hot engine), expands in size from a few microns to a few hundred microns, i.e. big enough to block the pores in an oil filter and cause a big pressure drop across it ... not good.

The teflon on yer mum's pots and pans is non-stick 'cos it's been bonded there under heat and in a vacuum -- but you can still scratch it off. It doesn't "plate" your engine like Slick 50 claim, it just swims around in the oil.

See http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-additives.html and lots of other places on the web for a good article about PTFE-based additives and other oil additives.

[Edited by brickboy - 12/7/2001 1:36:13 PM]
Old 06 December 2001, 11:53 AM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Question

I appologise if this has been covered before, but always used it in previous engines ( Not scoobs )an wanted to provide extra protection etc, my01 with 13000 miles approx, would this be sufficiently run in yet as I was going to do it after next oil change
Any advice appreciated
Thanks
Sandman
Old 06 December 2001, 12:35 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Thumbs down

Sandman,

providing you are using a good quality oil then you really shouldn't add any additives to it.
Old 06 December 2001, 12:38 PM
b5m
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

No No No.
Dont touch the stuff, its not approved by Subaru, they dont recommend it. Rather use a good oil.
Old 06 December 2001, 12:39 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think its great stuff.

I put slick 50 in mine at 20,000miles, and I began to feel the differences about 750miles later. The engine is smoother and more eager, but I think you need to know your car well to feel it.

I think its a must....

M
Old 06 December 2001, 12:58 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I think I've read somewhere that it can - well, does - do nasty things to engines. Can't remember what & can't remember where I read it (both very useful, I know...) but it was enough so that I wouldn't use it again. Good oil & frequent changes is a lot better choice.
I have used it in the past & thought that it worked well, but I didn't look at the engine afterwards! Also, it has nothing like the same effect as changing from dodgy oil to good stuff - you really know then!
Old 06 December 2001, 01:57 PM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your prompt advice , I was only thinking that perhaps in some strange way it could help in the Big End no 3 prob, but I am probably looking too deeply into it,and I did'nt really intend to open that thread up again. could Subaru actually tell that such an additive had been used in the event of some kind of engine failure ?.
Old 06 December 2001, 04:47 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

I seem to remember a thread here a few months back that had some links to research carried out on PTFE type additives. If I remember correctly the PTFE blocks up the oil filter resulting in poor oil pressure.

I think the thread also went on to say that a good quality oil will already have all the additives you are likely to need and if you add an additive then you can upset the balance and potentially reduce the overall performance of the oil, or something along them lines.

I personally had a nasty experience with slick 50 in an old MR2 a few years back where the big ends and mains went. It had been fine before I put the stuff in. Checked with the Toyota dealer and they had never had problems of this type with that engine. Have not used it since, but had used it in other cars and it seemed OK.

Ken
Old 06 December 2001, 04:58 PM
cosmic
Scooby Regular

i would recomend it it is very good i have heared so i would go
for it and you will feel a diffrence in your engine about 750 miles ok

colin
Old 07 December 2001, 12:24 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Talking

Fair points, but I do not see how a PTFE which is a tiny, tiny molecular substance can block up and oil filter? Or for that matter wear out bearing shells. More like the engine was on its way out anyway, then the Slick50 some how with it reducing the friction and freeing up the engine highlighted the problem.

Wouldn’t it be great if Scoobynet could do back to back tests on topics like this. There are so many different gadgets, additives that we are not sure work, i.e. Slick50, that ecothingy fuel atomiser, Broquet, and more.

M
Old 08 December 2001, 12:30 PM
Soren
Scooby Newbie

False advertising...

http://www.miata.net/garage/slickftc.htm
Old 10 December 2001, 12:40 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

I thought that the main problem was trying to get the stuff on the bits that needed it. You put the stuff in and it goes straight to the sump, then to the filter and that's where it sticks.

I may be wrong though.

F