Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Boost Controller

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2001, 10:17 PM
Miki
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm.. this doesn't seem to be a very interesting subject... too bad, I'd definitely need some help from you in this matter.
Or maybe no one's ever tried the Turbosmart controller (doubt it!), what about this one then (TurboXS), has anyone got any opinions ?

http://www.turboxs.com/Dual%20Stage%...Controller.htm

Please...

* Miki *

[Edited by Miki - 12/4/2001 10:26:31 PM]
Old 12 April 2001, 10:38 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi there
you will find that there was a lot of talk about the turbo smart kit around 1999, things have moved on a little bit. for example jeremy has mentioned the apexi boost controller which is the best int he market.

the only thing is that you can only raise the boost so much and after that you get fuel cut. when i first bought my car i tried a bleed valve and managed to get around 2 psi increase in boost, very cheap and kind of effective.

do a search and you will find that there has been a lot about this on the past, probably that is why no one is bothered talking about it now.

there is a web site by one of the members which explains things very well
http://www.scoobmania.freeserve.co.uk/
sam

[Edited by Sam Elassar - 12/4/2001 10:43:41 PM]
Old 04 December 2001, 09:05 AM
Miki
Scooby Regular

Howdy !

I'm searching for a boost controller to fit my MY96 Impreza, does anyone have anything to say about the Turbosmart "DUAL STAGE GATED BOOST CONTROL VALVE"...

http://www.turbosmart.com.au/PDF/FG-GBCV-DS.PDF

* Miki *

[Edited by Miki - 12/4/2001 10:46:05 AM]

[Edited by Miki - 12/4/2001 12:02:17 PM]
Old 04 December 2001, 10:33 PM
InsBro
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've got the APEXi boost & fuel controllers they are the business.

Jeremy
Old 04 December 2001, 10:54 PM
Miki
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replies guys!

I'm having a well-reputated Subaru-tuner doing modifications to the timing and fuel-cut, he's in fact made his own "chip" that he's attaching to the ECU. It's been done on many cars already, and it really works fine. He just mentioned that it would make his work a lot easier (=cheaper to me) if I'd have a boost controller... I know how this sounds, but I've heard so many good thins about this guy, I just have to trust him!
Anyway, the thing I'm looking for is a "not-so-damn-expensive" controller with a dual boost setting, that's why I'm considering the Turbosmart one. I'll have to search a bit further back then, back in 1999 I mean, thanks for the tip !

* Miki *
Old 04 December 2001, 11:26 PM
Miki
Scooby Regular

I tried searching for info about Turbosmart controllers, but only found a couple of threads where they were mentioned. These threads are like two years old, and the dual stage controller I'm thinking of is quite a new product, maybe they've come up with a decent product by now The price isn't too shocking anyway... at least not when compared to EBC's, but of course one shouldn't compare it to an EBC either... well, enough said.

Just to summarize, if I'm looking for a controller which allows me to have two different (in-cabin controlled!) boost settings (forget the ignition timing and fuel etc), maybe the Turbosmart one isn't such a bad choice !!!???

* Miki *
Old 05 December 2001, 12:01 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

miki
did you read the whole of my post i have got a web site address that will show how to raise the boost for as much as you want for very little money!!!!!

if you want to get something fancy get the apexi as it is the only one that will allow you to increase the boost in relationt to the rpm so you can raise the boots in the mid range and reduce it at the top end.

sam

Trending Topics

Old 05 December 2001, 07:07 AM
Miki
Scooby Regular

Sam

Yes I checked the website you mentioned and yes I know it's easy to raise the boost using a simple bleed valve, but I'd like to have an option to switch between two different settings using a switch in the cabin... there are DIY ways to this as well, but I'd rather go for something a bit more professional. No doubt the Apexi -unit is state of the art, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for, in fact it's a lot more than I'm looking for, also when money is concerned.

* Miki *
Old 05 December 2001, 10:16 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Miki,

Having a dual boost setting is a bit of a gimmick and people generally just leave the boost set to high and adjust it with their accelerator foot after a couple of days!

Importing a Dawes MBC is a cheap and very effective way of adjusting boost levels!

http://www.dawesdevices.com/

They also produce a two-stage kit if you really have to....

Thanks

Gavin
Old 06 December 2001, 01:43 AM
rroberrto
Scooby Regular

miki

had mine installed for two months (trubosmart gated boost controller, the single one, not the dual stage you're looking for), and in my opinion they do their jobs pretty good, spool up is much quicker thanks to the ball-spring mechanism, no spikes nad solid boot held.

the only point i want to make, and as to why i chose the single stage rather dual, is that in order to keep the controller at its optimum responsiveness and therefore a minimum of spikes, you need to use the shortest length of hose as possible. Mine just sits in between the turbo nipple and the wastegate, total hose length no more than 4 cm on each side. I think that's the reason i have no spikes (almost) at all. I'd take a fast-reacting controller over a convenient, in-cabin, dual stage one, anytime!

my 2 cents

robert
Old 06 December 2001, 04:05 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Hi Miki,

If your tuner is really chipping your ecu, then he will be able to alter the boost map as well as the fuelling and ignition maps. Boost is much easier to alter since the map is much smaller. I'd make sure he knows what he's doing. Perhaps he's only modifying the signals in & out of your ECU (like a UniChip) in which case boost is more difficult to do. Just get him to clamp your boost sensor and add a _sensible_ amount extra with a bleed valve (1-2PSI). This is _exactly_ what SuperChips do. If he's able to adjust your fuelling accordingly, you should be ok, and a bleed valve is _very_ cheap.

Cheers

Steve
Old 06 December 2001, 08:13 PM
Miki
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your comments guys!
The situation has slightly changed today, cause I just found out that a new dealer (located quite close to me, with a 4WD dyno ) is probably starting to sell and tune Unichip, and I know the guys quite well so that might be something for me...
I'll talk to them tomorrow to see what they think of the boost controller etc, since that of course can be adjusted with the Unichip.
Anyone care to give some fast comments on what I should consider with the Unichip, of course I could do a search...

* Miki *

PS. Planning on replacing the complete exhaust and adding a MRT rampod before the Unichip or other mods...