Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

can i get my cheap ass sport torquier?!?

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2007, 11:57 PM
X30NGO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i get my cheap *** sport torquier?!?

OK, so i can only afford a GX sport sportswagon. I bought it for the looks, not the mentalness of the engine.

But now i have it!.... I have been wondering, can i give it some more torque???

I am interested in its low speed/mid range pull. I don't care much for it doing 200mph, as i'll **** myself and crash, then get 60 points on my licence. But i would like more 'pull'.

Is this a daft thing to ask??? I can understand torque and bhp kinda go hand in hand, but how much is that rule to be lived by?? Can i get my 125bhp engine upped with torque???

at the moment there is nothing done to the engine. standard everything...

Major help required as i'm not engine wizz...

Thanks in advance!! (don't ridicule please... we all knew nothing once upon a time!)

Bongo.
Old 17 January 2007, 04:38 PM
Manners
Scooby Regular

Zorst change is the easiest way to get it a little bit more responsive.
Old 18 January 2007, 07:35 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

my personal thought is that your modding obession has started and wont end with this one thing

chop your car in for a turbo whilst you still have money in your back pocket
Old 18 January 2007, 07:53 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The simple answer is no. Chop it in and buy a turbo. The difficulty of tuning more power out of normally aspirated cars is the reason why so many modders drive turbocharged motors. Well, it's not that tuning is 'difficult' on normally aspirated cars, just expensive, a hassle, and it doesn't reap huge gains unless you're talking about a huge engine in very low tune out of the factory.

Generally with a NA car if you're serious about wanting more power/torque you'd look at changing the inlet and exhaust (getting the right exhaust is crucial - it's not like a turbo where you just go as big as you can put up with), working on the head by porting and polishing, changing the cam(s) and maybe the valvetrain, lightening and balancing the bottom end etc. The classic way to mod a modern fuel injected NA engine for more of the same kind of power is to replace the single throttle body and inlet manifold for a set of 'throttle bodies'. You'll hear the term a lot, it basically means one throttle body for EACH cylinder, rather than one to feed all four or six or however many you have. It's generally accepted that the days of big carb conversions on fuel injected engines are a backward move, although a few years ago before throttle body conversion kits became available it was an option and fairly cheap.

Bottom line - NA tuning is expensive and disappointing.