Forester gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2007, 01:16 PM
Mervington
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forester gearbox

Hello!

I am a new member, and hope that an existing member(s) might be able to help me.

Two years ago I bought a new Forester - not turbo - with manual box. It has now only done 5k. In many ways it is delightful vehicle, the one letdown being the gearbox. Indeed, I think it is the most unpleasant box I have experienced in 40 years of motoring. At the best of times it is quite notchy, and intermittently can refuse to go into gear, both when stationary and on the move. It is my first Subaru, and the gearbox issue might make it my last.

The dealer and the Subaru regional technician have looked at it. The oil has been changed, but to no benefit. The dealer and the technician say there is nothing wrong - it is a typical Subaru box.

I have asked Subaru whether a fully synthetic gear oil might improve matters, but, so far, have not received a reply.

I would appreciate advice on this "problem" and whether fully synthetic might improve matters, and, if so, which.

Many thanks.

Mervyn
Old 11 January 2007, 01:22 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's the traditional problem of not being able to get reverse (it's not synchromeshed) but coming off the clutch in neutral before trying to get reverse or first normally helps. I also had the selector for reverse fail (under warranty) on my turbo forester. They tried an oil change first, then fitted a recon box whilst they took the original box apart.
What you have to do is really prove the fault to be one particular thing, just saying the whole gearbox is crap to your dealer won't help. Is it between particular gears, does it do it in high and low range, is it on changing up or changing down?