Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

what is thumping when wheels turned??

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2006, 07:55 PM
squatepantz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is thumping when wheels turned??

i have read the posts going back for quite a while and quite a few of you have asked about this but i could not see any replies?
i have a legacy with an auto box and it has developed a loud thumping/knocking from the centre/rear of the propshaft when turning?
it is as sweet as a nut in a straight line in reverse or forward...... sound familiar to anyone? cheers, squatepantz
Old 10 October 2006, 07:52 AM
squatepantz
Scooby Newbie

Default ???

Originally Posted by squatepantz
.....a loud thumping/knocking from the centre/rear of the propshaft when turning?
this is the thing i cant get my head round.... why does the symptoms apear to be comming from the rear when its the steering that causes the fault to apear????
(like the other posts it is worse on full lock at low speeds, the front cv joints/boots, inner and outer seem to be good condition)
come on fellow subaru nuts give a newbie the benefit of your vast combined knowledge... or just take a stab in the dark
cheers squatepantz
Old 10 October 2006, 01:11 PM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

I had a thumping from the front (low speed/lots of lock) - it was the front diff on the way out, binding up and then letting go with a thump. Handling was like a vauxhall too....

Yours could be the rear?
Old 20 October 2006, 12:47 PM
fr1day
Scooby Newbie

Hi squatepantz

Have you figured this out yet? It sounds surprisingly similar to my problem, detailed in this post > https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...unk-clunk.html

If you do solve it, please let me know!
Old 20 October 2006, 01:07 PM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

Fr1day

Your symptoms are exactly the same as mine were (before the recon gbox... ) It would hold on a slope and then let go with a clunk.

....although surely it would have done it with the prop off?
Old 20 October 2006, 01:23 PM
fr1day
Scooby Newbie

Hey SS,

Colour me clueless!

So after your gb recon your problem went away??

I had my clutch replaced roughly around about the time this started... I wonder if it could be linked?
Old 20 October 2006, 01:34 PM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

Yup completely cleared the problem, the worst thing was (apart from the ££££) that I couldn't believe that I'd put up with the heavy steering and dubious handling, thinking it was tyre pressures etc.

I suppose I didn't want to stump up and kept thinking it was something cheap (but it never is lol)
Old 20 October 2006, 01:43 PM
fr1day
Scooby Newbie

lol, i hear you & will probably feel your pain (forking out big bucks) in the very near future
Old 23 October 2006, 09:26 PM
squatepantz
Scooby Newbie

i have now sorted the problem and it never cost me a penny!
but do you have an auto?
i spoke to subaru at leeds/ otley road (very helpfull ) and they said that if it had been stood for any legnth of time there is a clutch on the back of the auto box what slips the drive to the back diff to ease the stresses when turning but this sticks and causes that fault (can do it from new!) sounded plausable as mine was owned by an old dear and has only done 400 miles in 2 years!
i drove it round and round for a while and gave it some welly, took a few days but it now ok!
(i dont know about the manual box, but under my bonnet there is a fuse holder 'FWD' that cuts power to the rear for towing the car for short distances, when i fitted fuse to this she run as sweet as a nut with no knocks or thumps so i knew the front drive was fine)
hope some of you find this helpfull, squatepantz
Old 23 October 2006, 09:47 PM
fr1day
Scooby Newbie

Glad to hear you solved your problem squatepantz! Well done
Old 23 October 2006, 11:02 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by squatepantz
i have now sorted the problem and it never cost me a penny!
but do you have an auto?
i spoke to subaru at leeds/ otley road (very helpfull ) and they said that if it had been stood for any legnth of time there is a clutch on the back of the auto box what slips the drive to the back diff to ease the stresses when turning but this sticks and causes that fault (can do it from new!) sounded plausable as mine was owned by an old dear and has only done 400 miles in 2 years!
i drove it round and round for a while and gave it some welly, took a few days but it now ok!
(i dont know about the manual box, but under my bonnet there is a fuse holder 'FWD' that cuts power to the rear for towing the car for short distances, when i fitted fuse to this she run as sweet as a nut with no knocks or thumps so i knew the front drive was fine)
hope some of you find this helpfull, squatepantz
Good old KT green dealer- bought my car from them new 9 1/2 years ago, dont think they will service it any more