Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Annoying, road speed related knocking noise in all gears and neutral.

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2006, 06:11 PM
Marcuscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Annoying, road speed related knocking noise in all gears and neutral.

I need help!!! I have a 1998 turbo2000 and there is this worseing knocking noise coming from the area around the rear of the gearbox where the propshaft is located. The noise changes with road speed rather than engine speed and is the same in all gears and neutral. Im not up to speed on the layout of the transmision on the scoob but im desperate to find the fault. Could it be the centre diff? Or some sort of output bearing? I put the car on axle stands (all 4 wheels in the air) and drove the transmision. Climbed under the car and its deffinately at the rear of the box. Can anyone shed any light on the problem for me? Thanks
Old 21 September 2006, 08:35 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Hate to say it but could be a chipped tooth. If you can't tell any difference in the gears it might be the centre diff, but even if it was in one of the gears you would always get a knocking irrespective of gear or neautral, just usually the chipped tooth would be louder when in that particular gear.

I chipped 2 teeth in the rear diff that was a slight knock that became full on machine gun fire within 30 miles. When up on ramps it sounded like it was coming from the prop end of the rear diff, so hoped that it was a bearing - but when I dropped the oil 2 teeth were stuck to the drain plug

Last edited by Jay m A; 21 September 2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 21 September 2006, 09:41 PM
Generic User
Scooby Regular

Propshaft support bearing?