Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

downpipe touching ! vibrations!

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2006, 05:47 AM
jpar196
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default downpipe touching ! vibrations!

Hey guys, I have a turbo back exhaust done about a month back and ever since, noticed little vibrations when I come off the throttle. its not through the pedals but more under the foot rest of the passenger and near the gear box. I had a look under the car and the newly installed down pipe seems to be touching the chassis, would this cause the vibrations? IF so, is it hard to move the downpipe so it doesnt touch ?

CHeers!
Old 04 June 2006, 05:49 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

it is probably this causing the vibrations. There should be a bracket hanging down from the gearbox that holds the downpipe in place, thus stoppig it from hitting the chassis. On mine even with that fitted I had to move a black bracket that is nr the gearbox, loosened the bolts off, and moved it slightly to one side and then tightened it up again and that solved it for me.
Old 05 June 2006, 01:47 AM
jpar196
Scooby Regular

Hey there, so you are suggesting the bracket wasnt used? thus touching the body ? or bracket WAS used but still touching ? its vibrating because its touching the car right? or is it vibrating because the bracket is loose and touching the gear box. It seems its touching the cross member as it comes down, but the vibration seems to come more from the passenger side?

Cheers
Old 05 June 2006, 07:14 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sound travels in strange ways.
Mine was touching the centre bearing of the Prop shaft.

The brackets on the gearbox should align it all unless the D/P is incorrectly made?
If the pipe is touching the crossmember (recently, someone else had this prob on here) then that is the problem. If the pipe refuses to match the brackets you might have to slacken off the turbo mounting bolts to the ENGINE as they are slotted to allow for such mis-alignment in the factory.
Slacken and then get the pipe on and re-tighten everything.
Graham
Old 17 June 2006, 01:48 PM
deanwoodward
Scooby Regular

ive got this mine is bolted to the braket but its still touching the crossmember ive took it of once allready and used my good friend mr hammer to bash it it a bit where the downpipe is touching vibrates less but im going to sort it out properly next time i when i wrapp the down pipe